Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This ProBook 450 G3 has always charged when needed.  However, after a recent period of about 5-6 weeks of disuse, I tried to turn it on without plugging it in.  It would not turn on.  I then plugged it in, and it turned on.  However, the battery will not charge.  I have restarted it a number of times, but it still will not charge.  What can be the cause?  This has never happened before.  I thank you in advance for your help, and for putting any suggestions in as plain English as possible for this non-IT person.  While I'm not sure, it likely had a full charge when it was last used.

Runs Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Nothing else was done to it.  Nothing added, nothing removed.

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would call  that a sudden failure.

Five+ years of service is a seriously good service life term.

At the end of  five years, HP does not sell the parts for any laptop of desktop PC. It is a matter of  keeping stock current with recent models.

They are both compatible. The lower capacity battery is only about $20.00 USD.

Choose them by HP part number.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If that is the original battery it has reached its end of service life. They are seriously inexpensive and simple to replace.

The ProBook 450 G3 came to market in 2016.

The Maintenance & Service guide (see chapter 3, page 21, item 18)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04825517.pdf

Battery description and HP part number

6-cell, 55 WHr, 2.8 Ah 811346-001

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HP+811346-001&i=computers&crid=2Q88S6JBMDGYW&sprefix=hp+811346-001%2Ccomp...

4-cell, 44 WHr, 3.0 Ah 805294-001

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HP+805294-001&i=computers&crid=1PYK83OXO85SS&sprefix=hp+805294-001%2Ccomp...

They are on Amazon.com and inexpensive

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you Erico for that very thorough answer!

Good to know it came in service in 2016.  I did not buy mine--new--until 2018.  

So it sounds like its life ended.  Is it normal to die so suddenly?  Working one day, dead teh next turn-on, no warning?

Also--it appears you are saying it is not available as an original HP part any longer?

Thank you again.

Jeff

HP Recommended

Sorry, I had not looked at the Amazon pages yet.  Does it matter which of those I buy?  If so, how do I decide?

Thanks again, Erico.

Jeff

HP Recommended

I would call  that a sudden failure.

Five+ years of service is a seriously good service life term.

At the end of  five years, HP does not sell the parts for any laptop of desktop PC. It is a matter of  keeping stock current with recent models.

They are both compatible. The lower capacity battery is only about $20.00 USD.

Choose them by HP part number.

HP Recommended

Lovely answer.  Thank you, again.

If they are both compatible, I will likely try to pick the higher capacity one.

I opened the battery compartment yesterday, and I think it currently has the 4-cell part.

You are right.  Those prices are very reasonable.

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Have a great day.

Jeff

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Don't forget to mark that reply of mine as the accepted solution.

That is so others with the very same issue can quickly find the solution when searching on the internet.

HP Recommended

Interesting.

Both of those links are replacements for the 805294, even when 811346 is used in the Amazon search box.

I am not sure which is the measure for capacity--the Whr or Ah.

Either way, it looks like neither of those matches the original.  The Whr aren't listed for one of them, and for the other can be seen as 33 in one of the photos.  The 805294 original is listed as 44 and 3.0 Ah.

The Ah are listed as 2.6 on one and 2.2 on the other.

The 811346 original is listed as  55 Whr and 2.8 Ah.

HP Recommended

Ah and Whr are both measures of stored energy capacity over time.

Use the P=I x E   (P= power in Watts, I= Amps, E- Volts) formula to derive either, when two variables of the equation are known.

Not all sellers provide all of the information, but if the HP part number is used as a descriptor, the battery is required to match HP's specifications.

The generic battery type is R104 and the compatible extended storage battery is R106XL.

You left out some digits in you description of 811346 as the original part. There should be 811346-xxx as the part number.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.