Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F0065nf

I was thinking of boosting my HP Desktop M01 F0065nf to be able to play heavier VR games and avoid these latencies (stutters, freezes, slowdowns...) by replacing the original AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon RX Vega 8 G processor with one AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 G and adding an 8G memory stick.
For the memory it's fine, but to change the CPU, is this useful and can be done easily or are there too many manipulations?
THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@johnnyg65350 , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Motherboard Specifications for your computer.  If you look at the sections titled "Processor upgrade information" and "Memory upgrade information" you will find a list of compatible processors and the specifications for memory upgrades.  The only upgrade for your processor is the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 3.7 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, Quad core (Picasso) as you stated.  Any other processors will most likely not work.  These processors have been fully tested to assure they are compatible with your motherboard.  I am not certain that you will see much of a boost in performance with this upgrade.  It is entirely up to you.

The motherboard supports up to 32 GB of memory.  The motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  Therefore, it is best if you install memory sticks in pairs to get the best performance.  This would be a good upgrade.  The more memory the better.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  The current power supply unit (PSU) is only 180W.  This is not enough for a video card upgrade.  HP has a 500W (L05757-800) PSU that should be compatible with your motherboard.  You will have to contact HP Customer Support to see if they have one to sell you in your country.

This covers the upgrades that can be made easily.  The processor is a DIY upgrade, but a bit more technical than the others.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@johnnyg65350 , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Motherboard Specifications for your computer.  If you look at the sections titled "Processor upgrade information" and "Memory upgrade information" you will find a list of compatible processors and the specifications for memory upgrades.  The only upgrade for your processor is the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 3.7 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, Quad core (Picasso) as you stated.  Any other processors will most likely not work.  These processors have been fully tested to assure they are compatible with your motherboard.  I am not certain that you will see much of a boost in performance with this upgrade.  It is entirely up to you.

The motherboard supports up to 32 GB of memory.  The motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  Therefore, it is best if you install memory sticks in pairs to get the best performance.  This would be a good upgrade.  The more memory the better.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  The current power supply unit (PSU) is only 180W.  This is not enough for a video card upgrade.  HP has a 500W (L05757-800) PSU that should be compatible with your motherboard.  You will have to contact HP Customer Support to see if they have one to sell you in your country.

This covers the upgrades that can be made easily.  The processor is a DIY upgrade, but a bit more technical than the others.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice, suggestions and documentation which was very useful for my research. Finally, I will opt for a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4060 WINDFORCE OC 8G graphics card with a 550 watt power supply, replace the processor with a Ryzen 5 3600 and also add an 8 G memory card (to stay on the same value as the one that is installed initially) even if it means increasing their capacity subsequently.
Thanks again

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @johnnyg65350!

Here is one more HP Knowledge Base article for you to read.  It explains what to consider when adding or upgrading a video card.  Also, just know that the 3600 is not on the list of compatible processors.  It may or may not work.

Best of Luck!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.