Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJetPro 9010 Series

Shortcuts completely stopped working on my printer. It is consistent, not an intermittent issue. Every time I tap Shortcuts, I receive a "Connection Problem" error: "The printer was unable to connect to the server. Please try again later." This has been happening for nearly 2 months. Things I've tried throughout this period:

1. Multiple restarts. 
  2. Completely resetting back to factory settings two different ways ("Restore Factory Defaults" and "HP Secure Erase").
  3. Checking for Firmware Updates (Currently on MANHTNPP1N002.2329B.00 with a build date of 2023-07-22. 
    • This worked even after that Firmware Update was installed, so I don't think it's an issue with this build, unless the bug has something to do with us being in 2024 now (I believe the issue started around the first of the year, but I don't have an exact date).
  4. In the HP Smart app Shortcuts settings:
    • I enabled Printer Access. 
    • I disabled and re-enabled Printer Access multiple times.
    • I tried setting Printer Access for multiple different date ranges. 
  5. Disabling and re-enabling Web Services.
  6. Resetting wireless settings.
  7. Deleting and recreating the shortcut multiple times (though I never get far enough to even see my list of shortcuts on the printer).
  8. Searching online for other folks experiencing this issue, but there are no recent ones that I could find.
  9. Validating router settings are not limiting access to/from the printer.
  10. Combing through every setting in the advanced web-based printer settings - nothing looks off.

Other notables: 

• I use HP Instant Ink and that connects without any issues.
  • Using the Google Drive app on the printer itself, I can upload scans successfully (not a valid long term workaround because it takes much longer and many more taps on the screen). 
  • I can use Shortcuts via the HP Smart app on iOS and macOS, which will successfully can the document via the feeder or scanning bed on the printer. 
  • I have a new internet provider as of this last week and, not that I expected it to change anything, the issue persists.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue! Also started a few weeks ago. So following this. 

HP Recommended

Ive been having the same issue for over a year now. I was finally able to get the shortcuts to appear on the printer control panel a few months ago, but the scanned docs would never actually save to my Google Drive. I always had to use the apps. 

Then I ran into a whole other issue with the Instant Ink not connecting, rendering my printer useless. After hours of tech support calls and troubleshooting, it was determined that the firmware on this model can no longer be updated and the current firmware is no longer compatible with the Instant Ink servers. (what??) So the solution is to buy ink off the shelf or get a new printer. Once I got the printer back up and running (a trip to Staples and $125 later) I can use my printer again.

Once I "unlocked" the printer, i was able to manually update the firmware. One section in the settings says one version, another says a different version. Now the shortcuts are no longer synced and I get the message again that the printer can not connect to the server again.  Back to square one.. Very frustrated with this product. Once this $125 worth of ink runs out.. probably moving away from HP. 

HP Recommended

I just got off my 5th or 6th hour+ long call with HP Support. I shared with them these posts and they told me that everyone's issue was resolved by the steps they've taken on my case (which has mostly involved resetting my printer multiple times, removing it from my HP account entirely, adding it back, disabling and enabling settings multiple times). I figured I would reach back out here and see if you guys really do have your issue resolved, or if you simply had to give up trying. I don't want to drop more money on another printer when everything about this one is perfectly fine except for the primary feature I use - Shortcuts.

HP Recommended

Not resolved on my machine nor on my Mother's. I bought her an identical OfficeJet Pro 9020 last year so I could (hopefully) help from afar. Instead, the shortcuts I set up for her stopped working after a couple of months.

I've gone through lots of factory resets and all of that, to no avail.

By all appearances, it seems that some configuration is off on the HP server side, but it is hard to say. It certainly seems like a widespread issue.

HP Recommended

FWIW, HP has responded on a different thread:

Hi everybody,

The issue has been reproduced and is being investigated,  We will update you as soon as it's resolved. 

Thanks for your patience and your attention.

I work on behalf of HP.

Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon! 

Link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/Shortcuts-unable-to-connect-to-server/m-p/9062...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.