Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c3000 (947N2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 11. When trying to set up Windows Hello for Facial recognition and fingerprint recognition. I get the following messages "This option is currently unavailable" followed by this message "We couldn't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face."

Following the suggestions in this forum, I deleted the driver for the camera, but I am unable to locate the new driver to reinstall. I'm not even sure that this will solve the problem.

Can someone please guide me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Befuddled76 

True - the Troubleshooting guide does suggest uninstalling the IR camera driver from the Device Manager.

Perhaps you instead removed the HD / regular camera from your Device Manager.

?

When you checked, you will have found that there is not an HP IR camera driver for your system and Windows 11.

I do not find an HP driver listed for the camera hardware.

Not provided is perhaps not necessarily "dropping the ball" -- there are not always HP drivers for every component in the hardware - some drivers are provided by the Windows Operating System.

Software and Drivers for HP Laptop 17-cn3757ng (9H2Q4EA)  

If you have not done so, try using the Device Manager to recover Windows based camera drivers.

Open Device manager

Action > Scan for hardware changes

DragonFur_2-1714921987194.png

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Befuddled76 

Welcome to the HP Community --

It's possible (probable?) your computer has neither the necessary IR type camera (not listed as an option) or the Fingerprint reader.

The IR camera is not listed as an option.

and

The Fingerprint sensor is an OPTIONAL purchase on select models.

How to check , troubleshoot, find parts and install (fingerprint reader)

The Specifications do not show an IR camera option.

HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c3000 series specifications

HP Document

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Windows Hello Face Recognition

Method - Check your computer to find the type of camera

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

Open Category Cameras

Look for an entry that includes “ IR ” as the type of camera

Method – Check Settings for “Windows Hello Face”

Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

If Windows Hello is not available, you will see a message:

Windows Hello Face

This option is currently unavailable - click to learn more

Click to “Learn More” and see message:

We couldn’t find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face 

The Fingerprint reader / sensor is marked as available on Select systems only.

User Guide 

Pages 10-11 > Item #3

DragonFur_0-1714754904183.png

=================================================

If your system does not have a Biometric section in the Device Manager,

then

The little box where the fingerprint sensor would be located is just a same-color cover plate (no sensor).

Example - Device Manager - Biometric / Camera

Device_Manager_Generic_Biometrics_Fingerprint_Camera_2Device_Manager_Generic_Biometrics_Fingerprint_Camera_2

Maintenance & Service Guide 

Camera - Page 2

Audio and video

HP TrueVision HD Camera: indicator LED, USB2.0, back-illuminated sensor, f2.0, wide dynamic range (WDR)
720p by 30 frames per second

Dual array digital microphone with appropriate software: beam forming, echo cancellation, and noise suppression
HP Audio Center
Dual speakers
Supports Cortana (far field)
Supports Alexa
Supports XiaoWe

---------------------------------------------------------

Pages 11-12

and

Fingerprint sensor / keyboard - Parts

Pages 18-19 > Page 20

Fingerprint sensor - Installation / Removal

Page 42-43

=======================================

Method – Use PartSurfer to check the parts / components in your computer

PartSurfer might be able to tell you exactly which parts came with your computer.

• For best results, use the Serial Number for your search
  • Reminder:  Do NOT post private information (including serial number) in the Community

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Search for your computer / printer / device >> See HINT
  • Need Help?  Tab Self help > find and open the User Guide and FAQ

How to use PartSurfer:

• Select your region / country - PartSurfer must know your general location
  • Enter your device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" (or are missing from the list) are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available > CHECK:  HP Parts Store

OR

When HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible part number replacement at your favorite online store.

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos,

Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance

Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

OR

HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c3000 (947N2AV)  

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon Fur for taking the time to respond. I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know the outcome.

HP Recommended

Following previous advice I deleted the camera driver with a view to reinstalling it to try and resolve my Windows Hello problem. Obvioiusly, thsiu was not going to work. When I now go into add a camera device, I get the message that "no camera found". I have given up on using Windows Hello for facial or fingerprint recognition with the information you provided. My concern now is that I don't have a driver for the camera at all and I suspect won't be able to access applications such as Zoom.

Is there a way to locate the correct driver for th camera that is installed on my laptop and reinstall it?

I feel that HP have dropped the ball om this as they sell laptops with Windows 11 installed but don't have the hardware to support all the Windows features!

HP Recommended

@Befuddled76 

True - the Troubleshooting guide does suggest uninstalling the IR camera driver from the Device Manager.

Perhaps you instead removed the HD / regular camera from your Device Manager.

?

When you checked, you will have found that there is not an HP IR camera driver for your system and Windows 11.

I do not find an HP driver listed for the camera hardware.

Not provided is perhaps not necessarily "dropping the ball" -- there are not always HP drivers for every component in the hardware - some drivers are provided by the Windows Operating System.

Software and Drivers for HP Laptop 17-cn3757ng (9H2Q4EA)  

If you have not done so, try using the Device Manager to recover Windows based camera drivers.

Open Device manager

Action > Scan for hardware changes

DragonFur_2-1714921987194.png

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager. It identified HP True Vision HD Camera as the driver installed for the camera and that this was the latest driver available. I vuess all is OK and its just the Windows Hello that is not going to work. Thanks for your assistance

HP Recommended

@Befuddled76 

True - Windows Hello is never going to work with your camera type.

I am sorry I've been unable to explain this so it makes sense.

There are different kind of cameras.

One kind -- the "IR" camera -- can be used with Windows Facial Recognition - Windows Hello.

The "plain" kind of camera - HD True Vision or similar -- is not the right kind of camera for Facial Recognition.

Anyway, All good.

After a few dozen times, you might get used to typing in the password or your Windows PIN.

Have an excellent Fall and Winter.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.