Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 14-dq2000 IDS Base Model

Hi! I lost the password of my laptop, and when i tried to install W11 on it i got the error "No signed driver found" while choosing a disk, i already installed the IRSTD driver and it didnt work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Christian132,

If your laptop has an Intel Core 11th gen or newer processor, You need to supply IRST VMD storage controller driver to the Windows installer. you can download IRST driver (sp146929) from the link below, extract files from it and attach them to a Windows installation usb drive.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp146501-147000/sp146929.exe

Please follow the steps below to complete the installation:

1. Connect your Windows installation usb drive to the laptop (use an installation usb drive created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool rather than with Rufus for the best results).

2. Right-click on the downloaded sp file and click on "Open with administrator" to start the extraction process.

3. When you are asked where to save files, with the default directory path being displayed, click on Next.

4. Go to C:\SWSetup and locate the sp146929 folder that holds extracted files. Double click the folder and copy the F6 folder to the root directory of the Windows installation usb drive.

5. Run the Windows installation from the usb drive, and when you are asked where to install Windows, click on Load Driver.

6. Click on Browse then click the usb drive in the window that opens.

7. Click on the F6 folder and click OK.

8. Two drivers will be displayed. Select either one then click OK.

9. Now the drive will be displayed with partitions (if the drive already has Windows installed). Delete all the partitions to see "Drive 0 (or 1) Unallocated space" then click Next to proceed the installation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Christian132,

If your laptop has an Intel Core 11th gen or newer processor, You need to supply IRST VMD storage controller driver to the Windows installer. you can download IRST driver (sp146929) from the link below, extract files from it and attach them to a Windows installation usb drive.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp146501-147000/sp146929.exe

Please follow the steps below to complete the installation:

1. Connect your Windows installation usb drive to the laptop (use an installation usb drive created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool rather than with Rufus for the best results).

2. Right-click on the downloaded sp file and click on "Open with administrator" to start the extraction process.

3. When you are asked where to save files, with the default directory path being displayed, click on Next.

4. Go to C:\SWSetup and locate the sp146929 folder that holds extracted files. Double click the folder and copy the F6 folder to the root directory of the Windows installation usb drive.

5. Run the Windows installation from the usb drive, and when you are asked where to install Windows, click on Load Driver.

6. Click on Browse then click the usb drive in the window that opens.

7. Click on the F6 folder and click OK.

8. Two drivers will be displayed. Select either one then click OK.

9. Now the drive will be displayed with partitions (if the drive already has Windows installed). Delete all the partitions to see "Drive 0 (or 1) Unallocated space" then click Next to proceed the installation.

HP Recommended

I will try this, i will update you 

HP Recommended

If your plan is to install Windows from media you made from a Microsoft download, this is a BIG MISTAKE. Why? Because that will only install the generic drivers that MS supplies, not the HP custom drivers your laptop needs. Even if the Win11 install comes off OK, the laptop will not be OK because some of the hardware components will not work properly due to the lack of HP drivers.

In addition, the Windows product key embedded into the firmware of the motherboard can only be used to activate an HP OEM version of Windows. If you install anything else, it will not activate using that key and you will have to buy your own retail key to activate it.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Windows and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

You will need a working PC and a 32GB USB stick to hold the recovery files. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtXOU40vxk

You use the Microsoft Store to download the actual tool:

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9mtks9pr7r3n?rtc=1&hl=en-us&gl=us

If you use a different PC to run the tool, you will have to provide your PC's product number. Here is an HP link for finding that information:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2039298-1862169-16

Here's a video from HP Support about using the Cloud Recovery Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7AwuKNJKS4

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Learn how to use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11. If you need to recover your HP notebook, the HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. YouTube Chapters: 00:00 Introduction 00:30 Prepare for the recovery 01:19 Download and install the HP Cloud ...
HP Recommended

@WAWood,

Thank you for telling us your strong belief in Windows installation with HP Recovery Tool. But I don't think it's a "Big Mistake" to clean install Windows with MS installation media, because you can always install drivers from HP drivers download portal. HP may customize drivers such as graphics, network adapters, audio, Bluetooth, webcam and so on. You can install all of these drivers from HP download site. 

Many people don't like bloatware that comes preloaded. When I got a new laptop last year, the first thing I did was to delete a McAfee free trial. Somehow, they got my personal email and still send me promotional emails periodically. For some people it's a preferred choice to clean install Windows rather than to use HP recovery method.

One possible issue with the MS clean installation is that the EFI partition is only 100 MB by default, while HP recovery creates the 260 MB EFI partition with HP Hardware Diagnostics UEFI preinstalled to. You can still install the Hardware Diagnostics tool, but there will be a little free space left in the partition, which may hamper a BIOS update down the road.

So, neither method is perfect but it's nice to have a choice. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.