Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0061nl

For some months now my HP Pavilion turns off suddenly while i'm playing some games, even if it's charging through cable.
It never happened before and it's honestly kind of annoying. I have no idea what the issue can be and since it's not even that hot I'd exclude the "overheating" option (it's also been through hotter days years ago and never turned off because of it).
I tried with the hardware test but it couldn't find any problem...
What can i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @foxyale,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Sudden shutdowns during gaming sessions can indeed be frustrating, especially when you're unsure of the cause. While overheating is a common culprit, it's good that you've ruled that out. However, there are a few other potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Update Drivers and Software: Ensure that all your drivers, especially graphics card drivers, are up to date. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause instability during intense tasks like gaming.
  • Check Power Settings: Your power settings might be configured to shut down the system under certain conditions. Go to your power settings and make sure that it's not set to shut down or sleep during gaming sessions.
  • Check for Background Processes: Background processes or software might be consuming resources and causing the system to shut down. Close any unnecessary programs running in the background before gaming.
  • Check Battery Health (if applicable): If your laptop has a removable battery, it might be worth checking its health. A failing battery can cause unexpected shutdowns, even when plugged in.
  • Hardware Inspection: While your hardware test didn't find any issues, it might be worth physically inspecting your laptop for any signs of damage or loose connections, especially around the power supply and cooling components.
  • Run Stress Tests: Use third-party software to stress test your CPU and GPU separately. This can help pinpoint if one of these components is causing the issue.
  • Check Event Viewer: Sometimes, the Event Viewer in Windows can provide insight into what caused the sudden shutdown. Look for any critical errors or warnings around the time of the shutdown.
  • Reset BIOS Settings: Resetting your BIOS settings to default can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help you identify and resolve the issue with your HP Pavilion Gaming laptop!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @foxyale,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Sudden shutdowns during gaming sessions can indeed be frustrating, especially when you're unsure of the cause. While overheating is a common culprit, it's good that you've ruled that out. However, there are a few other potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Update Drivers and Software: Ensure that all your drivers, especially graphics card drivers, are up to date. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause instability during intense tasks like gaming.
  • Check Power Settings: Your power settings might be configured to shut down the system under certain conditions. Go to your power settings and make sure that it's not set to shut down or sleep during gaming sessions.
  • Check for Background Processes: Background processes or software might be consuming resources and causing the system to shut down. Close any unnecessary programs running in the background before gaming.
  • Check Battery Health (if applicable): If your laptop has a removable battery, it might be worth checking its health. A failing battery can cause unexpected shutdowns, even when plugged in.
  • Hardware Inspection: While your hardware test didn't find any issues, it might be worth physically inspecting your laptop for any signs of damage or loose connections, especially around the power supply and cooling components.
  • Run Stress Tests: Use third-party software to stress test your CPU and GPU separately. This can help pinpoint if one of these components is causing the issue.
  • Check Event Viewer: Sometimes, the Event Viewer in Windows can provide insight into what caused the sudden shutdown. Look for any critical errors or warnings around the time of the shutdown.
  • Reset BIOS Settings: Resetting your BIOS settings to default can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help you identify and resolve the issue with your HP Pavilion Gaming laptop!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.