Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 27u 4K Gaming Monitor

My brand new OMEN 27u 4K kinda works. Picture is good, HDR works, FreeSync Pro works.

Problem is the monitor going all black randomly. This lasts for couple seconds and the it comes back. This can happen at any time. On a bad moment, problem occurs couple times a minute. On a good moment, 20 minutes can pass without any hiccups.

Obviously cause can be anything. The thing is, this is an upgraded monitor to replace an old one. Cable is DisplayPort 1.4 compatible. From AMD GPU -side everything looks ok.

Any suggestions what to check? Or is this simply a faulty unit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @HQJaTu,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Intermittent blackouts on a new monitor like yours can indeed be frustrating. Let's troubleshoot a few potential causes.

• Cable Connection: While you mentioned that your cable is DisplayPort 1.4 compatible, sometimes cables can still be faulty or not securely connected. Try using a different DisplayPort cable to rule out any issues with the current one.
  • GPU Drivers: Ensure that your GPU drivers are up to date. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues with newer monitors or features like FreeSync Pro.
  • Monitor Firmware: Check if there are any available firmware updates for your OMEN 27u. Sometimes HP releases updates to address issues like intermittent blackouts.
  • Power Source: Ensure that the monitor is connected to a stable power source. Fluctuations in power supply can sometimes cause issues like screen blackouts.
  • Overheating: Monitors, like any electronic device, can overheat. Make sure that the monitor has proper ventilation and is not overheating during usage.
  • Check for Interference: Nearby electronic devices or sources of electromagnetic interference (such as wireless routers, microwaves, or speakers) can sometimes cause disruptions in the monitor's signal. Try moving these devices away from the monitor to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Faulty Hardware: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that the monitor itself is faulty. 

By systematically checking these potential causes, you should be able to narrow down the source of the problem and hopefully resolve the issue with your monitor.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @HQJaTu,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Intermittent blackouts on a new monitor like yours can indeed be frustrating. Let's troubleshoot a few potential causes.

• Cable Connection: While you mentioned that your cable is DisplayPort 1.4 compatible, sometimes cables can still be faulty or not securely connected. Try using a different DisplayPort cable to rule out any issues with the current one.
  • GPU Drivers: Ensure that your GPU drivers are up to date. Sometimes outdated drivers can cause compatibility issues with newer monitors or features like FreeSync Pro.
  • Monitor Firmware: Check if there are any available firmware updates for your OMEN 27u. Sometimes HP releases updates to address issues like intermittent blackouts.
  • Power Source: Ensure that the monitor is connected to a stable power source. Fluctuations in power supply can sometimes cause issues like screen blackouts.
  • Overheating: Monitors, like any electronic device, can overheat. Make sure that the monitor has proper ventilation and is not overheating during usage.
  • Check for Interference: Nearby electronic devices or sources of electromagnetic interference (such as wireless routers, microwaves, or speakers) can sometimes cause disruptions in the monitor's signal. Try moving these devices away from the monitor to see if it resolves the issue.
  • Faulty Hardware: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that the monitor itself is faulty. 

By systematically checking these potential causes, you should be able to narrow down the source of the problem and hopefully resolve the issue with your monitor.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Shortly: It was about the cable.

I had a perfectly working solution. A new monitor with 144Hz was the game changer. As DisplayPort cables do not have any markings nor other type of indication on their spec, it wasn't obvious my existing cable wasn't up to required 1.4. Using the HP-provided cable made random flicker / blackouts gone.

HP Recommended

Hi @HQJaTu,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I did accept the solution.

However, I'm doing that reluctantly. The solution is way too generic off-the-shelf fix for all possible situations. I'd love to see more specificity in this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.