Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-1160

Hello. I use two monitors with my HP Pavillion Desktop TP01-2260 bought new since 2021 and this worked well until a few months ago. The problem started with the monitor connected to the VGA port flickering from time to time without going blank. Very rarely the other monitor connected to the HDMI port experienced the same symptom, but it did in a few occasions too.  Over time, the VGA video signal flickered more and more until the monitor went blank even as soon as I start up the PC remaining blank the entire day until I shut it off.  Nowadays, the VGA connected monitor just refuses to work at all. At least, I can use the HDMI connected monitor. The funny thing is that every time I run the HP diagnostics or after I reinstalled the video driver from AMD, the VGA signal comes alive again! But after a few minutes (sometimes a few hours), the signal is lost again and the monitor goes blank. 

I've tried all the usual recommendations for a layman to solve the problem: I changed the VGA cable, I changed the monitor, I did a driver update, I made sure my Windows 11 Update is up to date as well as the BIOS. I also ran Windows Defender weekly. I even tried using a VGA-to-HDMI adapter connecting the PC's VGA port to the monitor's HDMI port with a HDMI cable. Still, it didn't make a difference.

I'd love to hear suggestions from you experts what else I can do to solve the problem!  Any suggestion is very well appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Sidney  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You have done all the correct things.   The  graphics is built inside the CPU unless you added an expansion video card.

The CPU may be overheating.  Open it up and  used an air duster about the CPU fan. 

Make sure the fan spins easily.

Do you have a temperature monitoring app?  Game hub app that controls fans?

I used tthrottle on all my systems that run 24/7 but there are probably better ones.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, BeemerBiker. I'm running CoreTemp and NZXT CAM apps to measure CPU temperature. CoreTemp displays a temperature varying from 45-50C and NZXT CAM is about the same temperature and fan speed at 254 rpm. NZXT measured 35C for GPU.  Are these numbers adequate or are they overheated?

CoreTemp-Scr.pngnzxt cam prtscr 27 apr 24.jpg

HP Recommended

Your system temps are fine but you are idling.  That temp app looks good.  I use tthrottle as it can slow down the CPU and GPU when it detects overheating.

When the VGA problems happens again, issue a reset to the video controller and see if the VGA wakes back up

Hold  WINDOWS KEY + CTRL + SHIFT + "B" to issue a video reset.

Possibly the video  cannot drive several monitors at the same time.  I had a weak HDMI signal from an NVidia board and had to remove an HDMI switch that had worked fine with the previous video board.  If you unplug the HDMI does the VGA work better?

You have a 180 watt supply which is small but should work unless a lot of stuff was added to the base system. 

You may  want to look at this table and consider both a GPU and a power supply upgrade

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

Be sure to click on the chart to see the TP01 listing.

HP Recommended

Thanks, BeemerBiker. Apparently, CPU temperature doesn't look like the culprit... 😞

I also tried Windows key + CTRL + SHIFT + B... Still no luck...

I also tried unplugging the HDMI monitor and turn the PC on with only the VGA monitor per your suggestion. Well, the VGA monitor didn't even blink... 😞

Yesterday another strange thing happened. This time my HDMI video monitor flickered. The VGA monitor is permanently blank, of course. Then this morning when I turned my PC on, the VGA monitor became the primary and the HDMI monitor became the secondary. For some reason, the primary and secondary switched places, probably because of that split second flickering, I suspect.    

Any more suggestions, things I can try? Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Disconnect the VGA monitor and see if that helps.

Does the 180 watt power adapter seem hot to the touch?

just guessing, sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.