Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello everybody,

My HP Laptop cannot connect to my Philips TV through the USB C to HDMI adapter. However, when I tried with my Dell Laptop from the office, the adapter worked perfectly well. Is it because of a missing driver in my HP Laptop?

My model is HP Notebook - 15s-fq0012na.

Is it compatible with USB C to HDMI? Or should I try a regular USB 3.0 to HDMI?

This is a very annoying problem, so any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Governor22,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating indeed! There could be a few reasons why your HP laptop isn't connecting to your Philips TV through the USB-C to HDMI adapter while the Dell laptop does. Let's troubleshoot.

• Driver Issue: It's possible that your HP laptop might be missing the necessary drivers for the USB-C port to function properly with the HDMI adapter. Check HP's official website for driver updates specific to your model. Look for USB or display-related drivers that might need updating.
  • Compatibility: While USB-C ports are designed to be versatile, not all laptops fully support all functions of the port. Some laptops might have USB-C ports that don't support video output via HDMI adapters. However, considering your Dell laptop worked fine with the same adapter, this might not be the primary issue.
  • Adapter Quality: Not all USB-C to HDMI adapters are created equal. Sometimes, compatibility issues arise due to the specific adapter's design or quality. Ensure you're using a reputable adapter that explicitly mentions compatibility with your HP laptop model.
  • Power Delivery: USB-C ports can also vary in power delivery capabilities. Some adapters require more power than others to function correctly. If your HP laptop's USB-C port doesn't provide enough power, the adapter might not work correctly. Look for an adapter that doesn't require additional power if this seems to be the issue.
  • Try Different Ports: If your HP laptop has multiple USB-C ports, try connecting the adapter to a different port to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes, certain ports might have better compatibility or power delivery.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you could indeed try using a regular USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter as an alternative. These adapters work differently and might have better compatibility with your HP laptop. Before purchasing, make sure to check reviews or compatibility lists to ensure it's compatible with your specific laptop model.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Governor22,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating indeed! There could be a few reasons why your HP laptop isn't connecting to your Philips TV through the USB-C to HDMI adapter while the Dell laptop does. Let's troubleshoot.

• Driver Issue: It's possible that your HP laptop might be missing the necessary drivers for the USB-C port to function properly with the HDMI adapter. Check HP's official website for driver updates specific to your model. Look for USB or display-related drivers that might need updating.
  • Compatibility: While USB-C ports are designed to be versatile, not all laptops fully support all functions of the port. Some laptops might have USB-C ports that don't support video output via HDMI adapters. However, considering your Dell laptop worked fine with the same adapter, this might not be the primary issue.
  • Adapter Quality: Not all USB-C to HDMI adapters are created equal. Sometimes, compatibility issues arise due to the specific adapter's design or quality. Ensure you're using a reputable adapter that explicitly mentions compatibility with your HP laptop model.
  • Power Delivery: USB-C ports can also vary in power delivery capabilities. Some adapters require more power than others to function correctly. If your HP laptop's USB-C port doesn't provide enough power, the adapter might not work correctly. Look for an adapter that doesn't require additional power if this seems to be the issue.
  • Try Different Ports: If your HP laptop has multiple USB-C ports, try connecting the adapter to a different port to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes, certain ports might have better compatibility or power delivery.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you could indeed try using a regular USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter as an alternative. These adapters work differently and might have better compatibility with your HP laptop. Before purchasing, make sure to check reviews or compatibility lists to ensure it's compatible with your specific laptop model.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Important update: I got my USB 3.0 to HDMI connector. And this time my computer recognises it.

I downloaded the drivers that came with it and my device manager now says "MS USB 2.0 Display" and shows the driver as properly installed. EVERYTHING WORKS!

Thank you for your help. This issue is over.

Kind regards, 

HP Recommended

Hi @Governor22,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.