Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 2009m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My system was working fine and display resolution was fine until suddenly the resolution changed and the desktop is stretched.  Went into Display Settings and there are only three choices: 1280x1024, 1024x768 (recommended), and 800x600.  None of these settings are acceptable.  Display says optimal setting is 1600x900, 60Hz.  But this is not an available choice (I believe this is what it was set to before the unknown event).  I went into the display adapter properties and 64 Hz rate is the only choice.  Under "List All Modes", the optimal is not available although there are many other choices that either do not work or are no better.  My monitor and adapter drivers are up to date.  System is HP Pavilion p6331p-b desktop, Windows 10, HP 2009m monitor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes that fix (Werefawn's) worked for me:

*Go to: Device Manager

*Click on "Display Adapters"

*Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter. (Mine is ATI Radeon HD4200)

* Click on "Properties"

* In the window, click on "Driver"

*Click on "Roll Back Driver"

Then click on the "OK" or "Apply" button and voila.....it's back to normal.

A couple of additional people indicated that the rollback option was grayed out, but it was available and worked for me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have the same problem - starting on the same date (11-23-2017) with a HP 2310m display, HP p6677c, Win 10 Home, version 1703, OS build 15063.726.

I've tried uninstalling the Monitor drivers, the monitor adapter drivers etc. but am stuck with the same resolution choices when native mode for the monitor is 1960x1080.

I was working on the machine yesterday afternoon and right in the middle of my work the screen went black and then came back in 1024x768.   What happened?? is it Microsoft or HP that messed up the settings?

HP Recommended

The exact same thing happened to me -- I was working on the PC yesterday (23-Nov-2017), suddenly the monitor went black for a couple of seconds, and came on again with the resolution changed. (HP 2010i display, HP Pavilion P6650z, Windows 10 Home version 1709).

The recommended resolution for the monitor is 1600 x 900, which is no longer an option under the Display menu. I've tried updating the drivers for the monitor and the graphics card to no avail.

HP Recommended

I tried the temporary fix mentioned by Werefawn and PoppaHank in the thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/What-the/td-p/6433218, and it seemed to worked for me, at least for now. (The "rollback driver" option was also greyed out for me.)

HP Recommended

Yes that fix (Werefawn's) worked for me:

*Go to: Device Manager

*Click on "Display Adapters"

*Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter. (Mine is ATI Radeon HD4200)

* Click on "Properties"

* In the window, click on "Driver"

*Click on "Roll Back Driver"

Then click on the "OK" or "Apply" button and voila.....it's back to normal.

A couple of additional people indicated that the rollback option was grayed out, but it was available and worked for me.

HP Recommended

On December 18, 2017, Microsoft released an update for the problem with AMD Radeon graphic adapters, for both Windows 10 '1703' and '1709' versions.

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/display-problems-on-some-amd-r...?

for details.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.