Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

re- I7 PC SO1 PF3000

Hi,

I tried to set up my new PC and mistakenly used the wrong email address instead of my existing Microsoft account email from my old Windows 10 machine. When I try to get back into the PC I am asked for my password  for this wrong email, when I click on recovery link for a number,  the number I get doesn't reset the account. 

I tried on my old PC to change it's email to the new one, but it says it's already an account, so I assume I managed to set up a new account which I cannot open.

Is there anyway to start the Windows 11 install again?

Thanks...

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This is one of the MANY reasons why I do NOT use an email address tied to my Windows logins.

MS response on this is as follows:

Changing your Microsoft account email can be easy. Here, we will guide you through the steps.

1. First, sign in to your Microsoft account and go to the “Security” section.
  2. Here, you will find the option to change your email address. Click on it and follow the prompts.
  3. You will be asked to verify your identity. Have access to your current email or phone number.
  4. Then, enter and confirm your new email address. Make sure it’s unique and not associated with another Microsoft account.
  5. After saving the changes, use your new email address and password for future sign-ins.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help. I reset my Microsoft account online as you suggested and managed to get back in!

all the best,

Jeremy

HP Recommended

Good to see that worked.

***If my post helped, click Yes for "Was this reply helpful" -- to say thanks -- and accept my post as the solution ***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.