Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 31.5 inch All-in-One Desktop PC 32-b0000i (3N9R4AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Within the last month my computer has been randomly shutting down when screen goes into sleep or lock mode.  At least that's what appears to be happening.  I have read through several articles to turn off sleep and harddrive functions that may be causing but still experiencing these issues.  While I'm working on the computer the screen will blink a couple of times like it's hit the screen timer limit and then disconnects with a reading that there is no input.  I can't actually tell if the computer is shutting down or just disengaging from the screen.  The only way to bring it back is to hit the power button twice and then computer will restart. Sometimes it is requiring my bitlocker recovery key to restart and other times it will just reboot.  I've adjusted power to best peformance and turned off sleep and harddrive shutdowns.  I've also reinstalled my Windows 11 software but still having this occuring issue.  This computer is just over a year old and is an all-in-one HP 32".  I'm considering a new desktop that's not an all-in-one but concerned it may have the same issue.  From what I've read laptops seem to be having this problem and all-in-one is like a laptop but does not have the battery component issues that could be causing.  Maybe there is no correlation but any advice on how to resolve would be appreciated.  Thank you...

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

A sleep report and the sleep study might show what is happening

Windows uses Modern Standby and has two tools to analyze sleep problems that can occur in modern standby.

Sleep ReportA list of possible problems ranked asd Errors, Warnings, or Informational
Sleep StudyThe history of sleep going back several days

These report are obtained by using the Administrators command prompt.
Copy and paste the following into the command prompt window for the energy report.

powercfg /energy
.\energy-report.html

Note the number of errors and warnings.

BeemerBiker_0-1714371935871.png

Copy and paste the followind commands into the same window to get sleep history

powercfg /SleepStudy
.\SleepStudy-report.html

BeemerBiker_1-1714371935751.png

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion.  I've tried to copy and paste each into the admin command prompt but it's giving me an error that it doesn't recognize the command.  Same result for each command.  Is there something that needs to be corrected in the command?

ToddSt_0-1714420732843.png

HP Recommended

the "PS C:\Users\ToddS" indicates you are in PowerShell

Run CMD and select Administrator

You should be in C:\windows\system32

run each command

powercfg /energy

.\energy-report.html

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I was able to run these from administrator.  The energy report did not produce any result.  The sleep study did generate a report but I'm not sure how to interpret the issues in the report.  I have it in pdf but this format doesn't appear to allow me to attach to this dialogue.  

ToddSt_0-1714513758864.png

HP Recommended

There is some type of problem.  A report should have been generated. 

Bring up that administrators command prompt and run Microsoft/s system file checker

sfc /scannow

if it finds and fixes file corruption then reboot and try that energy analysis. 

If it finds corruption but cannot fix the corruption then do the DISM section of the following 

How to use SFC or DISM to repair Windows

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I performed the scan and reporting no issues.

ToddSt_0-1714520654366.png

Basically what I've done so far is set sleep to "never" and keep hard drive awake.

ToddSt_1-1714521141446.png

The issue has not occurred for a couple of days but last time it occurred I believe these settings were already set.  Seems to happen when I'm in the middle of something and the screen will blink and then go dormant showing dialogue that there is no input.  Only way to recover is to hit the power button twice to shutdown and restart.  Very frustrating.  Relatively new computer.  

HP Recommended

@ToddSt wrote:

Seems to happen when I'm in the middle of something and the screen will blink and then go dormant showing dialogue that there is no input.  Only way to recover is to hit the power button twice to shutdown and restart.  Very frustrating.  Relatively new computer.  

That is not a sleep problem.  From what you write it appears the system is freezing and you need to power off and reboot.

It might be a problem with the application your are using.

Is the keyboard frozen?  The next time this happens try resetting the video card using

Hold down the keys:

WINDOWS KEY + CTRL + SHIFT + "B"

Usually the problem is the graphics card.  Try the following drivers if you do not have the latest video.

NVidia Jul 2023

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp148001-148500/sp148486.exe

Intel may 2023

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp145001-145500/sp145375.exe

Do you have any temperature reporting apps?

HP Recommended

I had 2 events this morning again.  I downloaded the temp app and there does not appear to be a temp issue indicated.  I ran the sleep report and received this messages.  Exit reason unknown.  I was working in an application called Quicken the first time and second time in Edge Web Browser.  I did do the video reset you suggested and screen went blank briefly and then came right back, assuming video reset.  My video card indicates it has the latest update based on review in device manager.  

ToddSt_0-1714571809203.png

HP Recommended

Additional info on Temp.

ToddSt_0-1714572008985.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.