Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 15.6 inch G10 Notebook PC (719F9AV)

Following up on post from @nuGenTio posted n February https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Cannot-charge-battery-to-100/m-p/8991194 with no responses and now locked.    I  noticed my new ProBook purchased in February 2024 would show the battery status as 80% charged fully smart charged in the windows status tray thingy whenever I mouse over looked at it.   Never saw it at 100%.  Decided to look into this and pulled up the HP Power Manager.  It was set to Let HP Manage my Battery with HP Intelligent Charging enabled. 

Just for giggles I selected Maximize My Battery Health to see if there were any options (there aren't) then Set Your Battery Schedule to see what the options looked like then back to Let HP Manage my Battery.  Doing that left HP Intelligent Charging disabled so I enabled that back as it was.    Then checked window battery status again and now it's changed and charging above 80% , initially "84, 87, now 97% and plugged in".  Currently no more mention of "fully smart charged".   So we'll see what happens no, presumably it will get to 100% and see if it stays there or fluctuates with the HP manager.  Apparently just temporarily changing the settings back and forth kick-started the additional charging behavior.

Just want to make sure that the battery is 100% when traveling or during frequent unexpected power outages.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Try_again 

Your machine is a business class machine therefore it may have 80% option in BIOS. Please use the following Guide to Battery Schedule on the Battery Charge Manager.

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/ish_5180936-5180983-16

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Both the HP Power Manager screen and the support article note If you uninstall HP Power Manager, the current settings are preserved and controlled by the BIOS and the article also says to use the Power Manager to change your battery settings from the operating system instead of the BIOS.   So my assumption is that the Power Manager overrides the BIOS.  In any case for the time being my battery is now charged to 100% after doing nothing but flipping the settings back and forth in the HP Power Manager.    So presumably the BIOS is not limiting on my laptop.  Although there is no explicit option I see in Power Manager to limit the charging to 80%  as  is apparently available ion the BIOS.

nuGenTio indicated disabling the BIOS settings as well as adjusting through Power Manager but still being stuck at 80%.  But the age of the battery was not mentioned.  So we have a couple different operating results for different laptops and it remains to be seen what will happen longer term.  Or if anyone else has experienced unexpected results with the charging a new battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.