Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook G6

I really appreciate if you know how to fix or share information about the same issue.

I'd like to install Windows 10 OS into HP Elitebook G6.

Though this device has 512 GBSSD, C drive has only 25 GB when I install OS.

So, I checked Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and then I found there are two Non-RAID Physical Disks as follows.

TG 4.0, Intel HBxxxxxxxAH Texxxxx, 476.9 GB

TG 5.0,    Intel HBxxxxxxxAHO TExxx 27.2GB

It seems that OS is installed to TG5.0. I installed OS via SCCM and also reset PC with local. In those case, I don't have chance to choose a disk.

Do I have any chances to install OS into TG 4.0? Ideally, I'd like to install it without CD/USB disks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If you're planning to reinstall, or have already reinstalled, Windows from media you made from a Microsoft download. this is a BIG MISTAKE. Why?

Because Windows from MS will only install the generic drivers that MS supplies, not the HP custom drivers your laptop needs. Even if the Win11 install comes off OK, the laptop will not be OK because some of the hardware components will not work properly due to the lack of HP drivers.

In addition, the Windows product key embedded into the firmware of the motherboard can only be used to activate an HP OEM version of Windows. If you install anything else, it will not activate using that key and you will have to buy your own retail key.

The best course of action is to install, or reinstall, using a HP OEM version of Windows.

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Windows and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

You will need a working PC and a 32GB USB stick to hold the recovery files. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmtXOU40vxk

You use the Microsoft Store to download the actual tool:

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9mtks9pr7r3n?rtc=1&hl=en-us&gl=us

If you use a different PC to run the tool, you will have to provide your PC's product number. Here is an HP link for finding that information:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2039298-1862169-16

Here's a video from HP Support about using the Cloud Recovery Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7AwuKNJKS4

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Ko-40 

I have never had an issues whatsoever installing Windows from the Microsoft download links.

It works fine with the OEM product key in the BIOS.

Also the information you were provided in reference to the cloud recovery tool is not applicable to your notebook.

Eligible HP business class PC use a different version of the utility called the HP cloud recovery client software and if your notebook is supported by the software, there will be a link to download the software on your notebook's support page.

There are no less than half a dozen different variations of 'Elitebook G6's' out there, so I randomly selected the 850 G6 support page to give you the link to the cloud recovery client software.

HP EliteBook 850 G6 Notebook PC Software and Driver Details

Here's an info link for how to use the software:

HP Business PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Client in Windows 11 and Windows 10 | HP® Support

Pay particular attention to how to install the drivers after you install Windows on the drive.

Regarding the actual issue you have...

Your notebook has an Intel 512 GB, PCIe + 32 GB Optane Memory drive.

That is why you see two drives.

Windows is supposed to be installed on the 512 GB drive and not the 32 GB Optane memory.

All the 32 GB Optane is used for, is to accelerate the drive.

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Support

I don't know of any way you are going to be able to fix the problem without reinstalling Windows on the correct drive with either the cloud recovery tool-created media, or the media you make with the Microsoft media creation tool.

Perhaps this tutorial will be of help to you.

How to install Windows 10 when Intel Optane is installed on your Alienware system? | Dell US

If it were me, and had the type of drive you have, I would do one of two things...

1. If the BIOS has a setting for it, I would disable the 32 GB Intel Optane memory cache and be happy with the 512 GB NVMe SSD as is.

2. I would disable the Intel Optane memory in the BIOS (if applicable) and install a 'normal' NVMe SSD such as a Samsung 980 PCIe Gen 3.0 SSD.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply! I will check your video link later.

In my understanding, using SCCM is using the HP OEM version of Windows. And other laptops with same model don't have this problem. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your explanation, I will check your link later. As we use SCCM, I technically use OEM in my understanding.

may I ask how to do these?

1. If the BIOS has a setting for it, I would disable the 32 GB Intel Optane memory cache and be happy with the 512 GB NVMe SSD as is.

2. I would disable the Intel Optane memory in the BIOS (if applicable) and install a 'normal' NVMe SSD such as a Samsung 980 PCIe Gen 3.0 SSD.

HP Recommended

All drive test passed, but I wonder if it could happen because of HW drive is broken and installation is skipped to another disk.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am a home user of HP business PC's, and I don't know how SCCM works, so I install Windows the old-fashioned way...with DVD's or USB flash drives.

There are probably very few folks on this forum that would be able to help you with installing Windows via SCCM.

HP does not provide any documentation on their business notebook BIOS settings so unfortunately, I would have no idea where you could find the setting to disable the Intel Optane memory device.

It is probably in the storage or advanced section of the BIOS if your notebook's BIOS menu is broken down that way.

It is possible that the 512 GB portion of the drive is no good.

Perhaps you should make a plain W10 USB installation flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below:

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media and use the Diskpart command to clean and format the larger capacity disk.

When you are at the 'Install Now' screen, do the following:

1. From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.
2. Type diskpart and press the enter key
3.Type list disk (look for your disk number, check the size of the disk)
4. Type select disk <disk number>. example: select disk0 (select the disk you want to format)
5. Type clean.
6. Type convert gpt.
7. Close the command prompt window.
8. Continue the Windows Setup installation.

If Diskpart cannot find the larger capacity disk or can't clean it, then the disk is probably bad and would need to be replaced.

I would replace it with a drive like this...if you want the 500 GB model:

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 980 SSD 500GB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280, Internal Solid State Drive, Storage for...

But you should check in the BIOS to make sure that there is either no setting to disable the Intel Optane memory and if there is, you have to disable it to install a standard type of NVMe SSD that does not have the 32 GB Intel Optane memory partition.

HP Recommended

I really appreciate your advice. I already tried kind of things. So, the disk could be already broken and skipped, I guess.

I will look into it a little bit more though, thank you so much. I appreciate your comments!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.