Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Blackwire 5220 USB -A

The title says it all really.

I plug in my Poly Blackwire 5220 (two earphones, 1 mic on a boom), plug'n'play does its thing, but what shows up is a Blackwire 5210, which is a monoaural device. Windows dialogs refer to "earphone" in the singular. 

No sound is ever played through my right ear, the side without the mic, and believe me, I've tried sources with left and right channels. Even when mixed down to mono, only 1 ear plays. 

Removing them, uninstalling the driver, with and without a hard reboot in between results in the same behaviour. 

Installing the Poly Lens app doesn't have any impact as far as I can see. 

I've returned them, and the replacement has the same issue.poly blackwire 5220.png 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @simoncarrollltd, and welcome to the HP Poly community.

I am sorry to hear that you are facing issues with the Poly Blackwire 5220 headset.

Could you please follow a few troubleshooting steps and let me know if the issue still persists?

1. Could you please let me know if the headset is being detected on the Poly Lens application with the right name?
2. Could you please restore the settings to default and switch off and switch on the headset to save the changes made?
3. Could you please try it with a different PC or mobile phone to check if the issue still persists?

Regards,
Meghana

HP Recommended

Perhaps relevantly, digging through the Event Viewer, we find ID: 442 in the System log says:

Device settings for USB\VID_047F&PID_C054&MI_00\6&3e7ad75&0&0000 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0294&SUBSYS_10431A1F&REV_1000\4&2ceef90a&0&0001
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122
Present: false

It's worth mentioning, this machine was born with Windows 11 and it's never been reinstalled, this is a red herring.  

HP Recommended

Hi Meaghana,

1. No, it's displaying 5210. And otherwise reporting everything is great. See screenshot.

2. I have reset device, then removed it (in Lens), physically unplugged it, and back in again. When I open Lens again, presto, it's found a 5210 again. 

3. It's USB-A so it can't be connected to a phone. I only have 1 Windows PC in the home office, but having tested two different devices, it seems likely it's a setting rather than a hardware problem. The wrong device is being detected. 

simoncarrollltd_0-1707230005652.png

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.

It seems like you have tried almost all the troubleshooting, and it looks like the dongle is faulty. I would request that you contact HP Support to get the headset replaced if it is under warranty, and our support engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/poly

Regards,

Meghana

HP Recommended

As you may have read from the original post, this is the second headset, I've been through all of this with plantronics/poly/HP already, and the second headset also 'thinks' it's a 5210. I'm not sure how to force Windows to consider it to be something else, but the issue appears to be related to the driver it's using, see the Windows Event it threw up. 

If Windows thinks it's a 5210, but it isn't, it's surely a driver/software problem. 

HP Recommended

I would recommend that you please contact our technical support so that they can assist you better with all the issues.

Regards,
Meghana

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.