Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Other

I want to scan but won't let me.  How can I scan?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Sue9632,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP printer is not allowing you to scan, there could be several reasons for this issue. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and potentially fix the problem.

• Check Printer Connection: Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer or network. If it's a wireless printer, make sure it's connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
  • Printer Software: Make sure you have the necessary printer software installed on your computer. You might need to install the full-feature software package provided by HP for your specific printer model.
  • Update Drivers: Check if there are any updates available for your printer drivers. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause scanning issues. You can usually find driver updates on the HP website.
  • Restart Printer and Computer: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve many issues. Turn off your printer and computer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn them back on.
  • Check Scanner Settings: Ensure that the scanner settings on your printer are configured correctly. You may need to access the printer's control panel or interface to adjust these settings.
  • Check for Error Messages: If there are any error messages displayed on the printer or computer screen, take note of them. They can provide valuable clues about what's causing the issue.
  • Run HP Print and Scan Doctor: HP provides a diagnostic tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor, which can help identify and fix printing and scanning problems. You can download it from the HP website and run it to see if it detects any issues.
  • Check for Paper Jams or Hardware Issues: Make sure there are no paper jams or other physical obstructions in the printer that could be preventing it from scanning properly. Also, check if the scanner hardware is functioning correctly.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and hopefully resolve the scanning issue with your HP printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.