Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have an Officejet Pro 7740 connected to our network via an ethernet connection (we have WiFi but do not use it on the printer). All our computers run all night and automatically restart every morning, and we manually restart the printer.  This printer prints fine from all the computers on the network, and it also prints from mobile phones so long as they are connected to our Wifi. It has been an excellent printer and we have no problems scanning FROM any computer on the network using the HP Software. The problems come when we want to scan a document TO a computer from the HP7740. Usually it will work fine, but sometimes in the middle of the day, we will get a black notification toast...

Untitled.jpg

...and this little icon immediately pops up the the tray/notification area

2-3.jpg.jpg

The thing is that the network connection has not actually been lost, because I can go into a Command Prompt, type "arp -a" and the printer's IP number is listed, and besides, all the printing functions work fine,  Once the toast and the icon pop up one one computer, they usually pop up on all the other computers within about 20 minutes.

HP Scan & Print Doctor does not fix the issue... but almost always results in this screen...

Scan_Doctor_Step2-2.png

This screen  happens on all of the computers when using Scan and Print Doctor. So far, the only way be have found around this is to switch the printer off and back on, and restart all the computers one-by-one. As you can imagine, doing this one to three times a day is an utter pain.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Is the IP address of the printer fixed?

Are your computers using the IP address or the hostname?

To set a fixed IP address one has to log into the modem and configure the HDCP to exclude the printer from arbitrary IP assignment. This can sometimes be difficult. It is easier to use the hostname of the printer. The following procedure will work on Windows.

The printer needs to be online and you need to obtain the hostname. You can do this from the printer by asking for a network or status report. If the hostname is not listed then there should be an IP4 address. If the IP4 address is 192.168.1.120 then you can obtain the hostname using the windows administrator command prompt and entering the following command.

nslookup 192.168.1.120

BeemerBiker_0-1714828541577.png

The hostname NPI40CB07.attlocal.net can be used to access the printer even if the IP address of the printer changes.

You can use the control panel to set the location of the printer

BeemerBiker_1-1714828541649.png

since you have a number of computers you probably should just set the ip address as fixed..  if you have already done this and the problem still exists you will need to consult with a network advisor.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

IP ADDRESS: Yes, the printer IP address appears to be fixed (192.168.1.4). This is what it comes up as when I look at the printer settings on its touchscreen, and when I do an "arp -a" listing of the devices on the network. It has always been that since I first installed the printer. It also lists [fe80::9e7b:efff:fe5d:bec8] below it. I assume is an IPV6 address.

HOSTNAME: Not sure what you mean by this, but if its the name of the printer when I look in Devices and Printers then yes. There are actually two entries

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 series PCL-3 (Network)

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 series PCL-3

Actually, when I run the Scan and Print Doctor these same two different names come up as installed, but please note that the first one  has [fe80::9e7b:efff:fe5d:bec8] and the second one has a different IP address - 192.168.1.89 - This number does not appear on the "arp -a" list of IP addresses

When I run nslookup, this is the result

C:\Users\Owner>nslookup 192.168.1.4
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

*** dns.google can't find 192.168.1.4: Non-existent domain

HP Recommended

@smartcooky wrote:

When I run nslookup, this is the result

C:\Users\Owner>nslookup 192.168.1.4
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

*** dns.google can't find 192.168.1.4: Non-existent domain

Either the printer is not at 1.4 or the PC cannot find the printer but then, that is the problem that brought you here

I have a simple "home" network with 11 PCs and 2 printers and no need to add static routes using arp.  I recommend you contact a network advisor.  I am not a network expert but have some basic working experiences.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.