Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

No more me.

I own a P1606 and a M254dw and it seemed logical to replace the 1606 with an HP4001. But after a couple hours of research I find I have to go through your smart system.  I already have the latest firmware on these printers so I would be prevented from using a non-HP toner. I updated the firmware intentionally, knowing that would be the case. I can't let my mixed system be controlled by you any more than I could by win 11 (which I recently backed off from). So which is better - Brother or canon.

Why oh why did you have to go do that??????????????????

- -

-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti VISION OC 8G (rev. 2.0)

-----HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw via USB, HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn via USB
Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad P15s Gen1, Windows 11 23H2,
genuine HP toner, HP Premium 24lb paper.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can download individual drivers from hp.com no smart stuff is needed, and for the toners that's because of security, but can be bypassed at your own risk.

Valsimot_0-1714588111853.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Well, I got a 3001dw.

I used the installer as you suggested, ignored its first few responses, told it USB, connected printer, and fully 15 seconds later it found it.

I then ran the firmware update from that same page and it asked for a password. I gave it the pin number. HP logic, I guess. It took perhaps 10 minutes to update the firmware.

So it runs on win 10.

Then I booted to Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. CUPS recognizes it but HPLIP will not.

How do I get HPLIP to recognize it? This is a deal breaker.

HP Recommended

It turns out that internally you have burned in the label

HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008

instead of the correct label

HP LaserJet Pro 3001dw

thereby making it impossible for HPLIP to recognize it.

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
+ lo IPv4 HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008 [38FFEE] (USB) Internet Printer local
= lo IPv4 HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008 [38FFEE] (USB) Internet Printer local
hostname = [kris-Asus-Prime-Z790-V.local]
address = [127.0.0.1]
port = [60000]
txt = ["air=none" "mopria-certified=2.1" "rp=ipp/print" "priority=50" "kind=document" "PaperMax=legal-A4" "URF=CP1,MT1-2-8-9-10-11,PQ3-4-5,RS600,SRGB24,OB10,W8,DEVW8,DEVRGB24,ADOBERGB24,DM3,IS1,V1.5,FN3" "UUID=50f8d033-dff2-43ca-ae6c-626efa4d473c" "Color=F" "Duplex=T" "note=" "qtotal=1" "usb_MDL=HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008" "usb_MFG=HP" "usb_CMD=PCL5c,PCLXL,POSTSCRIPT,PDF,PJL,Automatic,JPEG,AppleRaster,PWGRaster,PCLM,802.11,802.3,DESKJET,DYN" "ty=HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008" "product=(HP LaserJet Pro 3001-3008)" "pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,application/vnd.hp-PCLXL,application/postscript,application/pdf,image/jpeg,image/urf,image/pwg-raster,application/PCLm,application/octet-stream" "txtvers=1" "adminurl=http://localhost:60000/#hId-pgAirPrint" "Fax=F" "Scan=F"]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.