Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 series

Recently, when I try to print from my laptop, my printer will get the message to print, display on the little screen that whatever I sent to the printer is printing, and then display the finished printing message, but nothing prints. I thought maybe it was my Wi-Fi connectivity at first so I tried printing from my phone via the same Wi-Fi network. This time it actually printed. I have been utilizing cloud options to print the documents I need here and there so that I can print from my phone but its beginning to become a pain and I would really like to save time and just print directly from my laptop again. Any and all help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @breelynn9716,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there may be an issue specific to the connection or settings between your laptop and your printer. Here are some steps to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

Check Printer Connection:

• Ensure that the printer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your laptop.
  • If it’s a wired printer, check the USB or Ethernet cable connection between your laptop and printer.

Restart Devices:

• Restart both your printer and laptop. This can resolve many connectivity or software glitches.

Check Printer Software:

• Make sure the printer driver on your laptop is up-to-date. Visit the printer manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver for your printer model.
  • If you recently updated your laptop's operating system, it's possible the existing printer drivers are not compatible with the new OS. Reinstalling or updating the printer drivers can often resolve these issues.

Printer Queue:

• Check the printer queue on your laptop (you can typically find this by opening the printer settings via the control panel or system settings).
  • Cancel any stuck or incomplete print jobs.

Set as Default Printer:

• Ensure that the correct printer is set as the default. Sometimes, printing issues occur if the laptop is trying to send print jobs to an old or different printer.
  • You can set the default printer by going to your laptop’s settings, then to 'Devices' and 'Printers & scanners'. Select the printer you want to use and choose 'Set as default'.

Print a Test Page:

• From your laptop, try printing a test page (usually found in the printer’s properties or settings menu).
  • If the test page doesn't print, it indicates the problem might be with the laptop to printer communication.

Check Firewall/Antivirus Settings:

• Sometimes, the firewall or antivirus software on your laptop can block communication with your printer. Temporarily disable these (be sure to re-enable them later) to see if they are causing the issue.

Print from Another Application:

• Try printing from a different application to see if the issue is specific to one application. For instance, if you cannot print from Word, try printing from Notepad or a PDF viewer.

Network Configuration:

• If the printer is networked, try printing using the printer's IP address. You can add a printer manually via IP through your laptop’s 'Devices' settings under 'Printers & scanners' > 'Add a printer or scanner' > 'The printer that I want isn't listed' > 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname'.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.