Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Tank MFP 2604sdw Printer
Other

MAC OS Sonoma 14.4.1

My MRP 2604sdw printer will not print. I was never able to get it connected via wifi, but was able to print without any problems over USB for about six months before it stopped printing. I was then able to get it to work by disconnecting and reconnecting but now it simply won't print.

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting and resetting the printing system. Working through the HPSmart prompts hasn't helped.

Currently, HPSmart says ready and shows the USB connection. However, when I print, it shows Printer is Offline shows and the message reads "looking for printer". 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @MaggieDoodle,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you are encountering a frustrating issue with your MRP 2604sdw printer on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. Let's try a series of steps to resolve the issue, focusing on connectivity, driver configuration, and system settings.

Step 1: Confirm Basic Connection

1. Check the USB Connection: Ensure the USB cable is securely connected to both the printer and your Mac. Try using a different USB port on your computer, or a different USB cable to rule out the possibility of defective hardware.
  2. Restart Devices: Restart both your printer and your Mac. This can resolve minor connectivity and software glitches.

Step 2: Update Printer Software and Drivers

1. Check for macOS Updates: Go to Apple Menu > System Settings (or System Preferences) > Software Update. Install any available updates, as these can include important driver updates for your printer.
  2. Update Printer Drivers:
    • Visit the official website of your printer manufacturer to download the latest drivers for your model.
    • Install the drivers according to the instructions provided on the website.
    • Alternatively, you can check if macOS automatically offers a driver update when you go to System Settings > Printers & Scanners, and click on the '+' to add a printer.

Step 3: Reset the Printing System

You've mentioned resetting the printing system, but let's try it again step-by-step:

1. Go to System Settings (or System Preferences) > Printers & Scanners.
  2. Right-click in the printer list (or hold the Control key while clicking) and choose ‘Reset printing system…’ from the context menu.
  3. Confirm the Reset: This will remove all printers and scanners from the list and their jobs. You’ll need to re-add them.
  4. Add Printer Again: Click the '+' button to add your printer again. Make sure it is connected via USB when doing this.

Step 4: Verify Printer Setup

1. Select the Correct Printer: When printing, ensure that you are selecting the correct printer. Sometimes, multiple instances of the same printer (like 'MRP 2604sdw', 'MRP 2604sdw (Copy 1)') could appear, leading to confusion.
  2. Check Printer Status: Ensure no error lights are showing on the printer itself.

Step 5: Check for Software Conflicts

1. Security Software: Sometimes, security or firewall settings can block communication with USB devices. Check if adjusting these settings helps.

Step 6: Alternative Connectivity Methods

Since you had trouble with WiFi before, but if you're open to giving it another try:

1. Setup WiFi Connection: Consult your printer’s manual for exact instructions on setting up WiFi. This could be a backup if USB continues to be problematic.
  2. Check for Network Issues: If attempting to connect via network again, ensure your router is functioning properly and that the printer is connected to the right network.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.