Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just installed a new HP black cartridge in our  PhotoSmaert C5180 printer and it's not printing the middle of the letters.

I ran the utilities for cleaning print head and aligning the printer.  Tested again - Still bad.  Ran a test to see how color printed.  Color cartridges print well.  I ordered this cartridge from HP.  I'm seeing others with black ink printing problems.  Has this been looked into and a solution found?  I would appreciate a new/usable cartridge or at least a refund.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MNDianne

Clean the printhead

1. Open the All-in-One Toolbox:

1. Open HP Solution Center (click Start, click All Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center).

2. If you have more than one All-in-One installed, make sure to select the correct All-in-One tab in HP Solution Center.

3. Click Settings.

4. Click Print Settings.

5. Click Printer Toolbox.

2. On the Device Services tab, click Clean the Print Cartridges, and then follow the onscreen instructions. Three levels of cleaning are available.

Align the printhead

1. Open the printer Toolbox:

1. Open HP Solution Center (click Start, then All Programs, then HP, then HP Solution Center).

2. If you have more than one printer installed, make sure to select the correct printer tab in HP Solution Center.

3. Click Settings.

4. Click Print Settings.

5. Click Printer Toolbox.

2. On the Device Services tab of the printer Toolbox, click Align the Print Cartridges, then follow the onscreen directions.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

If you read my message, you'll see that I had already tried what you suggested.  I'm still not able to print in black.

Could you please send me a new cartridge for my Photosmart C5180 printer.

HP Recommended

@MNDianne

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support to get the cartridge replaced. 

Click here: www.hp.com/contacthp

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi community!

The information in the following link may also help:

Color or black ink not printing

SofiaML
HP Support Community

I work on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.