Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M183fw

I'm having an Xfinity XB7 Gateway. It has a WPS button on it. I followed the instructions on how to press the WPS button 3 to 5 seconds, then press "OK" on the printer at the WPS screen. The printer says "Connecting…" for a few seconds, then, It doesn't even use the 2 minutes, after 10 to 15 seconds, the printer reports "WPS Connection Failed".

I've tried multiple times. Sometimes, I press the "OK" button on the WPS screen, then press the WPS button on the gateway, other times, I tried the inverse, press the WPS button on the XB7, then press "OK" on the pinter, same results. After a few seconds, the printer reports that the WPS connection failed. I already read all the troubleshooting guides I could find on the HP website, none address my specific problem.

What can I do? I'm starting to regret having bought this HP printer already!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @NemesysSoft,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your HP LaserJet Pro MFP182nw printer's WPS connection. It can be frustrating when technology doesn't work as expected, but let's try a few steps to see if we can resolve the issue.

Basic Troubleshooting

Restart Devices: Start by restarting both your printer and the Xfinity XB7 Gateway. This can help clear any temporary issues that might be affecting the connection process.

Check Firmware Updates:

• Printer: Ensure your printer’s firmware is up to date. You can usually check this from the printer's control panel under Settings > Printer Maintenance > Update the Printer.
  • Router: Check if your XB7 Gateway has any firmware updates available. This might require logging into the router's admin panel or checking through the Xfinity app.

Signal Interference: Ensure that there are no major physical obstructions or electronic devices that could be causing interference in the communication between your printer and the router.

WPS Connection Process

You've tried the basic WPS push button connection process, but let's ensure everything is done in the optimal order:

Ensure WPS is Enabled on Your Router: Log into your Xfinity XB7 Gateway interface and check if WPS is enabled. Sometimes, it needs to be activated from the router settings before it can be used.

Printer First, Then Router:

• Go to your printer and navigate to the WPS connection setup via the network settings.
  • Press "OK" to start the WPS process on the printer. The printer should say it is waiting for a connection.
  • Within 2 minutes, press and hold the WPS button on your XB7 Gateway for 3 to 5 seconds.

Alternative Connection Methods

If WPS continues to fail, consider an alternative method of connecting your printer to the network:

HP Smart App:

• Install the HP Smart app on your smartphone or computer.
  • Use the app to connect the printer to your WiFi network. It often offers a more guided setup process.

Manual Setup:

• Connect your printer to your computer using a USB cable.
  • Install the HP software on your computer and use the software setup process to configure the printer’s network connection.

Ethernet Connection:

• If your model supports it and proximity allows, use an Ethernet cable to connect your printer directly to your router. This bypasses wireless setup issues altogether.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Rachel571. I will try those steps later this week. Will report back on my progress.

HP Recommended

Hi @NemesysSoft,

Thank you for your response, 

Please feel free to reply to us and we will be more than happy to help you.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.