Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new internet provider and I'm trying to connect my printer to the new network. My new router needs to be all minimalist and slick so I only have one button that isn't marked wo I can't put it in WPS mode. Or, at least, I don't know how. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @grrrrrrrrilll,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your new router doesn't have a clearly marked WPS button or you're unsure how to activate WPS mode, you can still connect your printer to the new network using a few alternative methods. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Option 1: Using the Printer’s Control Panel

Most modern printers have a built-in menu system that allows you to configure the wireless settings directly from the printer itself.

Access the Printer’s Menu:

• Turn on your printer and navigate to its network settings menu. This can usually be accessed from the printer’s control panel with buttons or a touchscreen.

Select Wi-Fi Setup:

• Look for options like ‘Wi-Fi Setup’, ‘Wireless Setup’, or ‘Network Setup’. Select the option to configure the wireless connection.

Choose Your Network:

• The printer will likely search for available Wi-Fi networks. Select your new network from the list.

Enter Wi-Fi Password:

• Use the printer’s control panel to enter the password for your new network. This might involve typing with a basic keypad, which can be a bit tedious but is generally straightforward.

Confirm and Connect:

• Save the settings and allow the printer to connect to the network. This might take a few moments.

Option 2: Using a Computer

If your printer is already installed on a computer, you can usually change the network settings through the printer software installed on your computer.

Printer Software on Computer:

• Open the printer software on your computer. This might be under ‘Devices and Printers’ in Windows or ‘System Preferences > Printers & Scanners’ on a Mac.

Access Network Settings:

• Find the option to change settings or manage the printer, and look for a section related to networking or wireless settings.

Change Network:

• Follow the on-screen instructions to change the wireless network. This might involve entering the new network name and password.

Option 3: Ethernet Connection

If your printer and router both support Ethernet, you can temporarily connect the printer to the router using an Ethernet cable to perform the initial setup.

Connect Ethernet Cable:

• Connect the printer to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Configure Wireless Settings:

• Once connected, use the printer’s control panel or your computer to configure the wireless settings as per the instructions in Option 1 or 2

Disconnect Ethernet and Test Wi-Fi:

• After setting up Wi-Fi, disconnect the Ethernet cable and ensure the printer remains connected over Wi-Fi.

Additional Tips

• Consult the Printer’s Manual: If you have the printer’s manual handy (or you can find it online using the model number), it can provide detailed instructions specific to your printer model.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Ensure your printer firmware is updated. This can resolve some connectivity issues and is usually found in the printer’s settings menu.
  • Restart Devices: Sometimes, simply restarting both the printer and the router can resolve connection issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.