Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Chao

thanks for stopping by.

this issue is appearing for me when HP smart scan is installed, first the uninstaller is used and the hp smart scan is installed and I still get this message.

thanks 

HP Recommended

Thanks 

@cjjb86 wrote:

Hi Chao

thanks for stopping by.

this issue is appearing for me when HP smart scan is installed, first the uninstaller is used and the hp smart scan is installed and I still get this message.

thanks 

Thanks @cjjb86 ! Appreciate your prompt response! I will escalate the issue again and see if there is a better solution to share. 

Chao

I am HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thus far none of the suggested solutions have been successful. Don't know what to do next.

HP Recommended

Hi #Chao:

Thank you for dropping by. A lot of us are anxiously trying to get the scanner to work. For most on my part as I frequently us the scanner. I had also done what you suggested and it too did not work for me. I tried it again by removing all the related apps, still it did not solve the problem as detailed below.

I have tried all the recommended alternative steps to make it work and none has so far proven to work.

The issue only started when I had to upgrade to Big Sur when I turned over the device (MBA 2018) for repair. After uninstalling all of the HP apps by running HP Uninstall, I downloaded HP Smart for Desktop and ran it. HP Smart could not even detect the  printer which is HP Deskjet 1515 with USB connection. I then downloaded HP Easy Scan, and obviously it could not work as HP 1515 was not installed.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem after I upgraded to Big Sur on Macbook Air - I ended up downloading Easy Start and that directed me to download HP Smart. I did that and everything works again. UI is a bit different but seems pretty easy to use. Using HP Color LaserJet MFP M277 DW. Hope this helps others on this forum. 

HP Recommended

I also have this problem now in Big Sur with my MFP M277 DW. I tried the two user suggestions on how to modify security permissions, but neither solution worked, same error when trying to use the macOS native scanner UI.

HP Recommended

@PVe1964 wrote:

Had the same problem after I upgraded to Big Sur on Macbook Air - I ended up downloading Easy Start and that directed me to download HP Smart. I did that and everything works again. UI is a bit different but seems pretty easy to use. Using HP Color LaserJet MFP M277 DW. Hope this helps others on this forum. 

That really isn't a solution tho -- that's using a different app. The problem is specially when trying to use the macOS native scanner interface. (Which many prefer to use instead of the HP-supplied apps/interfaces)

HP Recommended

@Chao_L wrote:

@der_be wrote:

I've had the same problem after updating from 11.3 to 11.5.1 and found a solution:

- Navigate to /Library/Image Capture/Devices

- Copy "HP Scanner 3" to your Desktop and alter the permissions for everyone and staff to "Read & Write".

- Delete the Original "HP Scanner 3" Plugin from Devices Folder

- Copy the "HP Scanner 3" with custom permission to Devices Folder

- Reopen Image Capture App

- Scanning should work now

Thanks @der_be for sharing the solution here. I see some users have resolved the problem using your solution.

I got some advice from @StretchMusic for this issue. Scanner 3 is an old outdated software. We suggest to uninstall it using HP Uninstaller and then install HP Smart or HP Easy Scan. Hope this works. Please let us know. Thanks everyone!

Hi Chao - thanks for your suggestion, but that does not correct the issue. (Nor did Der_be's solution work for me.) By fully uninstalling the Scanner 3 app, it is true we no longer get the permissions error message. Now, however, macOS just reports it can't find anything ("The file can't be found"):

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.02.47 PM.png

...as you can see, the problem is specific to trying to use the native Apple macOS UI/interface for working with scanners. Yes, the HP Smart app works, but that is an entirely different interface that the native Apple macOS interface. (Which many find *far* easier and better than the HP software.)

The underlying problem certainly appears to be that the HP drivers/software is not installing whatever interface component is required by macOS Big Sur in order to properly work w/ the native macOS scanner UI. This looks like an HP issue.

HP Recommended

@Chao_L wrote:

@der_be wrote:

I've had the same problem after updating from 11.3 to 11.5.1 and found a solution:

- Navigate to /Library/Image Capture/Devices

- Copy "HP Scanner 3" to your Desktop and alter the permissions for everyone and staff to "Read & Write".

- Delete the Original "HP Scanner 3" Plugin from Devices Folder

- Copy the "HP Scanner 3" with custom permission to Devices Folder

- Reopen Image Capture App

- Scanning should work now

Thanks @der_be for sharing the solution here. I see some users have resolved the problem using your solution.

I got some advice from @StretchMusic for this issue. Scanner 3 is an old outdated software. We suggest to uninstall it using HP Uninstaller and then install HP Smart or HP Easy Scan. Hope this works. Please let us know. Thanks everyone!

Chao

When I ran HP Uninstaller, it didn't touch "HP Scanner 3.app" or "HPScanner.app". Deleting those apps just resulted in a "The file can't be found" error like @Mdelvecchio had. And my printer's not supported by HP Smart and HP Easy Scan. 

After trying @der_be's solution, I tried opening a terminal and running these commands:

/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/HPScanner.app/Contents/MacOS/HPScanner
/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/HP\ Scanner\ 3.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Scanner\ 3

That seemed to fix it. I don't know if I had to do @der_be's thing first or if this works on its own.

HP Recommended

There is a workaround with a multifunction printer but it involves additional steps. Try scanning  to a USB drive plugged into the printer (LaserJet Pro 300 in my case) then transfer the scanned file from the USB to the desktop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.