Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdw

This issue has been posted over and over since the oldest one I found, which was in 2011.  None of the suggestions work for me.  Installation works fine with a USB cable, but I don't want that.  I've been using this printer for several years with WiFi, no problems.  I just re-installed Windows 11 and the WiFi installation brings up that phrase and the red circle with an X in it.  I've have tried everything suggested, including the more complicated suggestions, and have been at this all day, as others have said.  Anyone with a credible solution?  Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @rkeesecker,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're facing a frustrating issue with your HP MFP M426fdw printer after reinstalling Windows 11. Given the circumstances, let's try a few troubleshooting steps that might help resolve the "a fatal error occurred preventing product use" error when connecting via WiFi:

Update Printer Firmware:

• Ensure that your printer’s firmware is up to date. You can check this by accessing the printer's control panel or visiting HP's official website and looking for firmware updates for your model.

Check for Windows Updates:

• Make sure that your Windows 11 system is fully updated. Sometimes, new updates can fix compatibility issues with hardware like printers.

Reinstall Printer Drivers:

• Uninstall the printer driver that you currently have installed.
  • Go to the HP website and download the latest driver specifically designed for Windows 11 and your printer model.
  • Install the printer driver while your printer is connected to the network, not via USB.

Static IP Address for the Printer:

• Assign a static IP address to your printer. This can often help stabilize the printer’s network connection. You can do this through the printer's control panel under the network settings.

Disable VPNs or Firewall Temporarily:

• Sometimes, VPNs or firewalls can interfere with printer communications. Try disabling these (briefly) to see if it resolves the issue.

Reset Printer’s Network Settings:

• You can reset the network settings on your printer to factory defaults. This is usually done via the printer's control panel. After resetting, reconnect your printer to your WiFi network.

Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool:

• HP offers a utility called HP Print and Scan Doctor which can diagnose and resolve many common printer connectivity issues. It's available for free on HP’s support website.

Check Router Settings:

• Ensure that your router’s firmware is up-to-date and that there are no settings such as MAC address filtering or security settings that might be blocking your printer.

Consider System Restore:

• If the issue started after a recent change on your Windows 11 system, you could consider performing a System Restore to revert your computer settings to a previous state when the printer was working.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the HP Smart app a second time.  It did install the driver for printing and scanning, but with a completely different UI.  I didn't understand it at first compared to the software for this printer I had been using for numerous years.  Now I understand it and I am fine with it.  I could have tried every one of Rachel's suggestions, but I just didn't want to have to go through all that.  If I had, one or some of them may have solved the problem.  I don't know.  I very much appreciate Rachel's efforts.

HP Recommended

Hi @rkeesecker,

Thank you so much for your response. May i know if the issue is resolved with the steps provided?

If yes, Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.