Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

With HP smart I can't communicate with pc, either cable/wireless, and bluetooth mentions to need a code for the 2006 printer(could that be "C8151A" ?). The printer S/N is [personal information removed] (product no snprc-0502). I have tried to download drivers but the best guess is the same than the win10 .inf data.

Any help?

xns

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @FRP4,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're having trouble getting your HP Deskjet 460 printer to work because you don’t have the installation CD and cannot find the appropriate drivers on the HP website, here are some steps you can follow to try and get the printer set up on your Windows 10 computer:

1. Windows Built-in Driver Support

Even if you cannot find the driver from HP, Windows 10 has a feature called Windows Update that might have a compatible driver:

1. Connect your printer to the computer via USB.
  2. Open SettingsDevicesPrinters & scanners.
  3. Click Add a printer or scanner. Wait for Windows to detect your printer.
  4. If it appears, select your printer and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
  5. If Windows does not find a driver, click “The printer that I want isn't listed” and follow the on-screen instructions to try and install it using Windows Update.

2. Install Using Compatibility Mode

If you can find an older driver (e.g., for Windows XP, Vista, or 7), you can try installing it in compatibility mode:

1. Download the older driver from any trusted source or use the driver you might have previously downloaded.
  2. Right-click the driver installation file and choose Properties.
  3. Go to the Compatibility tab.
  4. Check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode for, select the version of Windows the driver is designed for.
  5. Click OK and then run the installation as administrator (right-click → Run as administrator).

3. Use a Generic Printer Driver

If you cannot find any specific drivers, you can try installing a generic printer driver:

1. Go to SettingsDevicesPrinters & scanners and add a new printer.
  2. If Windows can’t detect your printer, choose “The printer that I want isn't listed”.
  3. Select “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” and follow the prompts.
  4. Choose “Use an existing port” (e.g., USB001 if it’s connected via USB).
  5. From the Manufacturer list, select HP and from the Printers list, try selecting a generic HP DeskJet printer model.
  6. Complete the installation and attempt to print a test page.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.