Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 on a desk top machine. Everything went well until Windows is trying to install an update for this printer (HP Officejet 8610). It is getting error 8007002. I checked the Windows site to find a fix and found nothing that works. I did try a couple solutions that I found which did not resolve the error. Has anyone run into this error and if you did were you able to get it resolved? I would appreciate a solution if someone has it. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @beary_one 

According to the Windows website "If you receive Windows Update error 80070490, it means that a file (CBS Manifest) that's needed to install updates is corrupt." 

This seems to apply to different error codes, including 8007002

Please take a look at what I found: Windows Update error 80070490

It appears the reason the file is appearing as corrupt is because it is whats is referred to as a "ghost update". Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.  The only thing you can do is hide the update, or ignore it.  Windows will keep trying to push it, but your printer doesn't need it.  If it did need the update, it would install right.

Aside from there error, are you experiencing any issues printing, scanning, or using the HP software?

If so, running the Print and Scan Doctor could help. The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues including but not limited to:

• Connectivity:

USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.

Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.

• Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.

• Driver Check: Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.

• Device Manager: Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.

• Device Online: Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.

• Print Queue: Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).

• Port Match: Checks the port settings for the HP product.

• Device Conflicts: Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.

• Ink Issues: Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.

• Print Settings: Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.

• Test Print: Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.

• Scan Tests: Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.

Source:Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor >>>>> > www.hp.com/go/tools

If that does not resolve the issue, post back and let me know if there are any symbols other than green check marks and what they are next to of course. The wrench is not always easy to spot as the wrench and the check mart are in the green circle.

• If you see only green check marks (), the tool did not find any problems.

• If you see green wrenches (), the utility identified an issue and corrected it automatically.

• If you see yellow exclamation points (), the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see a red X (), follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

I hope this puts your mind at ease

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @beary_one 

According to the Windows website "If you receive Windows Update error 80070490, it means that a file (CBS Manifest) that's needed to install updates is corrupt." 

This seems to apply to different error codes, including 8007002

Please take a look at what I found: Windows Update error 80070490

It appears the reason the file is appearing as corrupt is because it is whats is referred to as a "ghost update". Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.  The only thing you can do is hide the update, or ignore it.  Windows will keep trying to push it, but your printer doesn't need it.  If it did need the update, it would install right.

Aside from there error, are you experiencing any issues printing, scanning, or using the HP software?

If so, running the Print and Scan Doctor could help. The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues including but not limited to:

• Connectivity:

USB: Verifies that the USB connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.

Network: Verifies that the network connection between your computer and your network is working correctly.

• Device Status Test: Checks for device errors such as out of paper, paper jams, carriage stalls, and paper feed issues, and then provides instructions for fixing the error.

• Driver Check: Checks for missing or corrupt driver files.

• Device Manager: Checks for problems in Device Manager that would prevent printing.

• Device Online: Checks if the product has been paused or set to offline, and then sets the status back to online if necessary.

• Print Queue: Checks for and clears pending print jobs in the print queue (a log of print jobs waiting to print).

• Port Match: Checks the port settings for the HP product.

• Device Conflicts: Checks for conflicts with other drivers, such as other printer brands.

• Ink Issues: Checks the cartridges and ink levels for issues that affect print quality.

• Print Settings: Checks and adjusts the print quality settings.

• Test Print: Prints a test page for print quality evaluation, and provides options for cleaning and aligning the printhead if necessary.

• Scan Tests: Checks the scan mechanism, drivers, and registry entries.

Source:Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor >>>>> > www.hp.com/go/tools

If that does not resolve the issue, post back and let me know if there are any symbols other than green check marks and what they are next to of course. The wrench is not always easy to spot as the wrench and the check mart are in the green circle.

• If you see only green check marks (), the tool did not find any problems.

• If you see green wrenches (), the utility identified an issue and corrected it automatically.

• If you see yellow exclamation points (), the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see a red X (), follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

I hope this puts your mind at ease

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I ran this tool scan doctor and I've only green check marks but I always have this persistent problem. No chance ! What's more no efficient solution proposed by Microsoft community.

HP Recommended

Good morning @brimballe

As you can see from above, 

"It appears the reason the file is appearing as corrupt is because it is what is referred to as a "ghost update". Basically a "ghost update" is an update that was for the device, but the device has more recent drivers which causes the update to keep failing.  The only thing you can do is hide the update, or ignore it.  Windows will keep trying to push it, but your printer doesn't need it.  If it did need the update, it would install right."

Aside from the error, are you experiencing any issues printing, scanning, or using the HP software?

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I get the same error message when I try the Update setting in Windows 10.  I think it is because my HP Officejet 8610 is NOT set up for faxing - I have absolutely no need to send or receive anything by fax via my home computer network, every "document" is sent/received by email.  I've just ignored that error message as a result.

HP Recommended

Hello,

the best way is applying this soft issued by Microsoft : "wushowhide.diagcab" . Very efficiency for all update trouble.

:generic:

HP Recommended

I have since months same problem " HP - Other hardware, Printer - Null Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8610 – Fehler 0x80070490".

Every day message. Only hp. All other software and hardware works. All drivers ok and up to date.

I am extremely annoyed. No proposed solution on hp or microsoft homepage worked.

Windows home 10 64bit, Lenovo G50-70

HP please fix this problem !!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.