Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Storm blew in and power outage occurred.  When I went to work my printer, error messages started and ink cartridge housing will not move out from resting position when turning on and off the printer.  Error messages include:  "Improper shutdown.  to avoid damaging the printer, always press the on/off button to turn it off."  "Paper Jam, remove any jammed paper and make sure the paper tray is installed properly"  and "Printer Failure, there is a problem with the printer or print system.  Turn the printer off and then on. If you continue to get this message call HP.  Error 0x6100004a."

Followed videos offered on HP website.  Turned off and on, disconnected power cord.  Nothing is working.  Please help! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Studioat21,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are getting an error message on your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

This looks like a hardware issue. however, to isolate the issue, 

We need to perform a semi-full reset to restore the printer back to its original settings.

The reset instructions are specific to your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instructions to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

You may also refer to the below documents for further assistance

Click here for paper jam

Click here for carriage jam. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.