Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer

Hello!  I have a 6-year old very lightly used 8710 printer.  It has never really had any issues until today.  I had recently replaced the cartridges and then yesterday it went from almost full on the magenta ink level to giving me an error that I could not print due to it being depleted.  Today I went and got a new set of all cartridges.  After changing the magenta, it then decided that the black ink was depleted.  I removed and reinstalled the blank cartridge and still had the same ink level showing.  I then installed the new black ink cartridge.  It registered as new and full, but, then gave me a communication error with the yellow cartridge.  I changed the yellow cartridge and then it gave me an error for both the cyan and yellow not communicating.  I installed the new cyan and still the same error for both cartridges.  I then removed the print head and cleaned thoroughly, dried, and reinstalled.  I reinstalled all the new cartridges and still the same communication error.  I installed the old cyan and yellow, and I get an notification that they were previously used, depleted and then the  communication error directly following the other errors.  This all started with new HP 952xl cartridges that were less than a month old and no more than 50 pages printed.  I realize it is getting old.  Do I just need a new print head?  And, if so, are the ones on Amazon that say genuine HP any good, or just a knock-off?  Sorry for the long read and thanks for any advice!.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JacobH2024,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already gone through a number of troubleshooting steps, so let's try a few more to see if we can resolve the communication error with the cartridges.

• Restart the Printer: Sometimes a simple restart can fix communication issues. Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a minute, then plug it back in and turn it on.
  • Reset the Printer: Try resetting the printer to its default settings. This can sometimes resolve software glitches that may be causing the communication error. Look for the reset option in your printer's menu or consult the user manual for instructions on how to reset it.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Ensure that your printer has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes, outdated firmware can cause communication issues with newer cartridges. You can usually update the firmware through the printer's menu or by visiting the HP website for instructions and downloads.
  • Clean Cartridge Contacts: Sometimes, dirt or debris can accumulate on the cartridge contacts, leading to poor communication with the printer. Try cleaning the contacts on both the cartridges and the printer itself with a lint-free cloth lightly dampened with water or isopropyl alcohol. Be gentle to avoid damaging the contacts.
  • Check for Ink Cartridge Compatibility: Ensure that the cartridges you're using are compatible with your printer model. Using incompatible cartridges can cause communication errors and other issues. Double-check the cartridge numbers and compare them with the ones specified for your printer in the user manual or on the HP website.

Given the age of your printer, it's possible that there may be hardware issues contributing to the communication errors. However, it's worth exhausting all possible software and maintenance solutions before considering hardware issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for the reply. I have been through all of those steps and have the latest firmware. I have done the reset and even uninstalled and reinstalled software. I ended up buying a new printer and will fix and keep this as a printer for the kids (if I can get it fixed). Of note, I removed the printer head and there was a bit of ink inside which I cleaned and reinstalled as one of my troubleshooting attempts. When I was boxing up the printer and had it on its back, black ink poured out of it. I’m not sure if the printer head has been leaking ink this entire time or what is going on or if it’s worth trying to fix at this point. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have two brand new sets of 952xl cartridges that haven’t been used yet, only installed while trying one of the troubleshooting steps. It’s around $400 in ink, so I’d like to be able to use if possible. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @JacobH2024,

Thank you for your response, 

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.