Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just recently while printing color on my HP7640. The color will stick and drag down the whole page, really wasting the ink.  Why?  Please help I’d hate to get rid of a normally good printer.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @mnwintergreen,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with your printer where the colors are smudging or streaking, leading to wastage of ink and poor print quality. There could be several reasons behind this problem.

• Clogged Print Heads: Over time, the print heads of your printer can become clogged with dried ink or debris, leading to irregular ink flow and poor print quality.
  • Low-Quality Paper: If you're using low-quality or incompatible paper, the ink may not adhere properly to the paper surface, leading to smudging and streaking.
  • Incorrect Print Settings: Ensure that you're using the correct print settings for the type of paper you're using. Using the wrong settings can result in excess ink being applied to the paper, leading to smudging.
  • Old or Low-Quality Ink Cartridges: If your ink cartridges are old or of low quality, they may not dispense ink evenly, leading to smudging and streaking.
  • Printer Calibration: Sometimes, printers need to be calibrated to ensure accurate ink placement. Check your printer's settings or consult the user manual for instructions on how to calibrate the printer.

To troubleshoot and resolve the issue, you can try the following steps.

• Clean the Print Heads: Most printers have a utility for cleaning the print heads. Run this utility to remove any dried ink or debris that may be causing the problem.
  • Use High-Quality Paper: Make sure you're using high-quality, compatible paper for your printer. This will ensure that the ink adheres properly to the paper surface.
  • Check and Adjust Print Settings: Verify that you're using the correct print settings for the type of paper you're using. Adjust the settings as needed to achieve the best print quality.
  • Replace Ink Cartridges: If your ink cartridges are old or low-quality, consider replacing them with genuine cartridges from the HP.
  • Perform Printer Maintenance: Regularly perform maintenance tasks recommended by HP, such as cleaning the printer and aligning the print heads, to keep your printer in optimal condition.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.