Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

HP intentional to stop my Officejet Pro 8600 to reconized Genuine Black Ink Cartridge, using new update software.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What exactly is the error message you see on the printer's front panel?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,
I'm working away from home, if you need exactly error message I will reply to you next Friday when I come back home from work (printer at home).  I  will take the pictures and send it to you, I can summarize the problem here: my printer worked fine until HP update and my printer one cartridge (color) need to be replaced, I replaced with refurbished one from Amazon.  Then a message keep popped up “cartridge is not genuine”, so I went to Best Buy to buy a combo 4 cartridges.  It shows a message (I don't remember, but it said like printer have a problem), but when I installed cartridges one at a time (color first) then it recognized all 3 color cartridges. So when I installed the black one, then I have a problem.

Any ideas?  Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

You could post the picture in the thread here when you get a chance.  Also, if you could confirm the model is an Officejet Pro 8600 as opposed to an 8610, 8620, 8630 or 8640?  The latter did have some firmware updates that rejected some 3rd party cartridges.  There was a later update that reversed this as described in the document here.  As far as I know, there was not an update for the Officejet Pro 8600 that rejected 3rd party cartridges.

Third-party cartridges vary in quality, I would suggest returning the one from Amazon (they generally have a pretty good return policy).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,
Thank you for your information, as I stated from previous replied message I used to use Amazon cartridges and it worked fine. Then I have the problem so I returned all the cartridges and bought the genuine cartridges from Best Buy.  But the problem won't fixed.  Can you post the link for HP 8600 original software ?

HP Recommended

The Officejet Pro 8600 series firmware and software downloads can be found starting at the link here.  There are several models of the Officejet Pro 8600 and a dozen or so models of the Officejet Pro 8600 family.  Make sure you are selecting the proper model.  I checked the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (the unit I have) and the firmware has not been updated since 2020.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.