Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 15 Convertible PC 15-er1000 (4R5X1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

"The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly." Can this be related to touchpad issues I am having wherein my left click and 2 finger scroll stops intermittently

I have tried interacting with HP Support team and updated BIOS as well as ran multiple diagnostic steps but still the issue persists. Its a new laptop around 1.5 months old 

System Model HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 15-er1xxx

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1255U, 1700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.14, 2023-03-08

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home

Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @HarpreetSPadda,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Yes, the error message you're receiving about the embedded controller not responding within the specified timeout period could potentially be related to the intermittent issues you're experiencing with your touchpad. The embedded controller is responsible for managing various hardware components in your laptop, including the touchpad.

If the embedded controller is malfunctioning due to hardware or firmware errors, it could lead to issues with the touchpad functionality, such as the left click and two-finger scroll not working intermittently.

To troubleshoot and resolve this issue, here are a few steps you can take:

• Update BIOS: As suggested in the error message, check if there is an updated BIOS available for your HP Pavilion X360 15 Convertible PC. Sometimes, BIOS updates include fixes for hardware-related issues like this.
  • Update Drivers: Ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your touchpad and other relevant hardware components. You can download drivers from HP's official website or use Windows Update to check for driver updates.
  • Check for Hardware Issues: If the issue persists after updating BIOS and drivers, it's possible that there's a hardware problem with your touchpad or the embedded controller itself.
  • Reset Settings: Sometimes, resetting the touchpad settings to their default configurations can help resolve intermittent issues. You can usually find this option in the touchpad settings within Windows Settings or the HP Touchpad utility (if available).
  • Scan for Malware: Occasionally, malware or software conflicts can cause hardware-related issues. Perform a thorough scan of your system using reliable antivirus software to rule out any malicious activity.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Followed all the steps but still the issue persists. Its a brand new laptop, just 1.5 months old and in warranty. I should get a replacement as it seems a hardware issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.