Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15t Touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I press the Caps Lock key, a gray box appears on the bottom of the screen for a couple seconds saying that Caps Lock is on or off.

This is very annoying and distracting and unnecessary.

How do I turn off this notification?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@aufeihuh1234_ I went through the details and found the steps to resolve the issue:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to bring up the Run box. Type regedit and hit Enter.
  2. After the Registry Editor opens, create a backup by exporting the file to safe location, then, navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Hewlett-Packard\HP HotKey Support
  3. In right pane, double-click on the CapsLockOSD entry and set its value to 0.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your effort, but please first read and understand what the customer is saying before you do anything. If you don't do that, you are wasting other people's time.

I never mentioned any "light indicator" on my keyboard. I said that "a gray box appears on the bottom of the screen".

For your convenience I am attaching a screenshot. Please see the screenshot before you do anything.

HP notify.png

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@aufeihuh1234_ I appreciate the screenshot and the clarification, 

I have updated my post accordingly, that said, if it doesn't help, please try the below steps:

1. Open Control Panel. Set the View by option to Large icons.
  2. Click Ease of Access Center.
  3. Select “Make it easier to focus on tasks“.
  4. Scroll down to the “Adjust time limits and flashing visuals” section, Check the checkbox to “Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)“. Under the option “How long should Windows Notification dialogue boxes stay open“, select 5 seconds 

turn-off-notication

5. Click Apply/OK.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your effort. But...

The "HP HotKey Support" folder you mentioned is not in my Registry.

0010.png

I suspect that "HP HotKey Support" is in some other HP notebooks. But it's not in the Spectre x360 15t touch, which is what I have.

Also, the "Ease of Access" solution you offered is not helpful, either. I don't want 5-second notification. I want 0-second notification.

Please kindly ask a HP technician for the correct solution.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@aufeihuh1234_ Here's another solution you can attempt, as it has helped most people resolve similar issues:

1. Right-click the desktop -> Screen resolution or Display settings.
  2. Click Advanced settings (Windows 10: Display adapter properties, Screen Configurations tab).
  3. Click the On Screen Display tab.
  4. Uncheck the Enable on-screen display box.

Let me know if that helps,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle Decipher,

Unfortunately, the "On Screen Display" tab you mentioned does not exist in my PC.

Please see this short video I made that shows this fact: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L117cRnsUeyN4S7AA

If you could ask a HP technician that knows about the Spectre x360 15t-df100, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@aufeihuh1234_- There are a few reasons why the settings could be missing, and to clarify, I am an HP Tech, I'll do my best to help you out, that said, here are the possible reasons:

• Feature removed in update
  • Bad graphics drivers
  • Windows corrupt installation files

I suggest you follow the below steps to reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Use Windows + X and select device manager.

Step 2: look for display adapters, and right click on the available display adapters, then select uninstall, when done, restart the computer.

The device should automatically reinstall the drivers when the device is restarted, so, please check if that gets you the settings back.

If the issue persists, or you aren't comfortable doing these steps, a remote session could be initiated by a tech to help you out and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there, I'm not a professional nor experienced in this type of stuff, however, try this step if you would like to try, it might get rid of that notification when you click your caps button:

Step 1: Go to task manager (if you don't know how to access search it up).
Step 2: You should try find a process named "btindicatorprocess" or something similar to this for example "hpkeyboard notification"

Step 3: Click on it and click on "End task".

Step 4: Click your caps button, is it still there?

Alternative suggestion:
If the above steps do not work, try these steps:

Step 1: boot up in safe mode (if you don't know how to do this search it up)
Step 2: click on caps lock, is there any notification still there? If not then try create a new user account, if it's still there then try check the task manager from there for any process which may cause it.

HP Recommended

Hi Naqi100,

Unfortunately, I don't see any process that mention 'indicator' or 'notification'.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.