Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop PC 14
Microsoft Windows 11

Been having issues for the last few days with the display adapter (Intel (R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 30.0.100.9864) not starting after my laptop goes into sleep mode. I will close my laptop, open it, and the power light will turn on but the display won't. The only way to get it to display is to restart the computer using the power button. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and it solved the issue for about 12 hours however the issue has come back. In the events section of the driver info from the device manager it has multiple instances of not starting. 

I can sometimes restart it using the shortcut Shift + CTRL + Windows + B, however, this does not always work. 

Any help is much appreciated, thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same problem, but thanks to someone in reddit I found a fix.  Have to download and install a new intel graphics driver and it worked.  

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows*

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @gclan2024,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

I understand that the Screen won’t turn back on after sleep or turning on.

• Have you made any hardware/software changes?

Hard Reset: Follow the steps below

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes.
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next, Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also let's check the power setting on the notebook.

Check Power options, Advanced settings - Screen is similar to this, just enable or disable it depending on your current setup. 

If that does not help.

I would suggest you contact phone support. They will help you.

For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

No solution but you're not alone as this started happening to me recently as well.  Given the fact that nothing has changed other than some windows updates I'm inclined to think they are the root cause.  I'm in the process of uninstalling and troubleshooting and will report back.

dv2620ca
HP Recommended

Sorry to report that removing the recently installed patches (KB5036980, KB5036620, KB5036893,  KB5034467) did NOT solve the problem.  As soon as the screen turns off based on the set inactivity delay it will not come back on with mouse, keyboard, or anything.

Interestingly I have Stardock's multiplicity running on the laptop and I can see that the laptop is still running.  When the screen is blank, I can still login with multiplicity and it works 100% normal, just the screen is blank.  I usually use this feature to reboot the machine to "recover" it to a working state.  

dv2620ca
HP Recommended

Not the "HP Solution", but downloading the latest Graphics Driver from Intel solved the issue for me.

dv2620ca
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with my HP Spectre x360, wondering what to do to fix this problem. The screen won't turn back on, on its own after turning off when it's off battery power. But I can see that the keyboard is working, and the system is running as I get audio feedback by clicking the mouse. Also, the screen immediately turns on when I plug in the power cord. It seems like a common issue, hope HP provides an official fix soon. 

HP Recommended

It seems like a lot of users of the HP Spectre x360 14 Convertible are having the same issue. Is there no official fix from HP? What is the root cause for this error?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, but thanks to someone in reddit I found a fix.  Have to download and install a new intel graphics driver and it worked.  

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows*

HP Recommended

Thank you for deciphering the reddit "expertise" and sharing it with the rest of us! All fixed 😄

HP Recommended

I also tried this and it has worked for me, thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.