Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs3087tx

I have a HP Pavilion laptop 15 that has been having issues connecting to a HP monitor. I am using a HDMI cable. 

I have done the following:

Used different HDMI cables

Ensured BIOS, all latest windows updates and HP drivers are up to date

I have connected another Dell laptop to the monitor with the same HDMI cable and no issue it works every time

I have cleaned the port with a cloth

I have done a hard reset with the power button on the laptop

The monitor keeps saying check your cable or video source .. input signal not found 

I thought may be if i update to windows 11 from windows 10 that might help.. but no.

I could always go to an IT shop and get it diagnosed.. but should i really have to do that?

Any help appreciated

Steve

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @SJJH1968,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you've been quite thorough in troubleshooting the issue with your HP Pavilion laptop's connection to the monitor. Here are a few additional steps you could consider before taking your laptop to a repair shop:

Check Display Settings:

• Right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings."
  • Ensure the display is set to extend or duplicate (not just on the laptop screen).
  • If the monitor isn't detected automatically, try clicking on "Detect" to see if Windows can find it.

Graphics Driver Reinstallation:

• Sometimes, even up-to-date drivers can be corrupted. Try completely uninstalling the graphics driver via Device Manager, then reboot the laptop and allow Windows to reinstall the driver. This can sometimes resolve hidden issues.
  • Go to Device Manager, expand the "Display adapters" section, right-click your graphics device, and choose "Uninstall device." Check "Delete the driver software for this device" if available, then restart the laptop.

Hardware Troubleshooting:

• Even though you cleaned the HDMI port, there could still be a hardware issue with the port itself. If possible, try connecting via a different video output port like VGA or DisplayPort if your laptop has one.
  • Check for any physical damage inside the HDMI port, such as bent pins or debris.

Check for Hardware Issues in Windows:

• Go to "Device Manager" and see if there are any warning signs (yellow exclamation marks) next to your display adapter or HDMI/audio outputs.
  • Use the Windows Troubleshooter: Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot -> Additional troubleshooters -> Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Try a Different Monitor/TV:

• If possible, try connecting your laptop to a different monitor or TV. This can help determine if the issue is with the laptop's HDMI output or the specific interaction between your laptop and the current monitor.

Monitor Settings:

• Check the monitor settings through its on-screen display menu. Ensure it's set to the correct input source (HDMI).
  • Some monitors have multiple HDMI ports, so try using a different HDMI port on the monitor if available.

Bios Settings:

• Although you mentioned your BIOS is up-to-date, double-check if there are any settings related to video output or HDMI functionality that might be disabled or configured incorrectly.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.