Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

At every laptop start I am asked to allow/not allow exceution of programm HPReadHWDataUninstall.

How can I eliminate this pop up which is an absolute nuisance?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @bertbest,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The pop-up you're experiencing is likely related to the HPReadHWDataUninstall program. To stop this pop-up from appearing at every startup, you can try the following steps.

Check Startup Programs:

• Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager.
  • Go to the "Startup" tab.
  • Look for an entry related to HPReadHWDataUninstall. If you find it, right-click and choose "Disable."

Use MSCONFIG:

• Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type msconfig and press Enter.
  • Go to the "Startup" tab.
  • Look for HPReadHWDataUninstall and uncheck it.
  • Click "Apply" and then "OK."

Check Services:

• Type services.msc and press Enter.
  • Look for any HP-related services. If you find one related to HPReadHWDataUninstall, right-click and set it to "Manual" or "Disabled."

Uninstall HPReadHWDataUninstall:

• Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
  • Look for HPReadHWDataUninstall, right-click, and choose "Uninstall."

Registry Cleanup (Advanced):

• Caution: Editing the registry can have serious consequences if not done correctly.
  • Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
  • Look for an entry related to HPReadHWDataUninstall and delete it.

After performing these steps, restart your laptop and check if the pop-up issue persists.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Using the provided solutions I can not find an entry called "HPReadHWDataUninstall".

When I search the registry I find an entry in:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4182170125-1059810665-1739870971-1008_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

May I simply delete that entry?

HP Recommended

Hello Alden4,

I am having the same issue, but sadly I couldnt find anything with the solutions provided, do you have any other solutions?

Would maybe deleting the .exe file help, or could this lead to problems?

Also for about one minute after the popup (does not matter if I enter the administrator password or not) my mouse and my keyboard are lagging very badly, the touchscreen does react like normal tho. This is probably realted to the popup, because the lag only starts after pressing no or entering the adiminstrator password. But is gone after about one minute.

Also I am using a HP Envy x360 15,6-Zoll-2-in-1-Laptop-PC with WIndows 11.

And the path of the .exe file: C:\Program Files\HP\OmenInstallMonitor\HPReadHWData\HPReadHWDataUninstall.exe.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Marius

HP Recommended

Hi @Marius2003,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you're encountering an issue with a specific executable file related to your HP laptop. Deleting the .exe file could potentially resolve the issue, but it's important to proceed with caution as deleting system files can lead to unexpected problems if not done correctly.

Before attempting to delete the file, here are a few steps you could try.

• Check for Updates: Ensure that your HP laptop's drivers and software are up to date. Sometimes, issues like these can be resolved by updating the software associated with the problematic executable.
  • Antivirus Scan: Perform a thorough scan of your system using an updated antivirus program to rule out any malware or viruses that could be causing the issue.
  • Safe Mode: Boot your computer into Safe Mode and see if you still encounter the issue. If the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it could indicate that a third-party application or service is causing the problem.
  • System File Checker: Run the System File Checker tool to scan for and repair any corrupted system files that may be causing the issue.

If you decide to delete the .exe file, make sure you have a backup of your important data and create a system restore point before proceeding. Additionally, it's a good idea to rename the file extension to something like .bak instead of outright deleting it. This allows you to easily restore it if deleting the file causes further issues.

After taking these precautions, if you still experience the same problem and choose to delete the file, monitor your system closely for any unexpected behavior. If everything seems to be working fine after deleting the file, then it likely wasn't critical to the functioning of your system. However, if you notice any adverse effects, you can restore the file from your backup or by renaming it back to its original extension.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hey Alden4,

after some testing it seems like everything on my system is up to date. And I also do not seem to have any malicios software. I did the Operating System scan from the HP Support Assistant Application, but everything seems to be fine. I still have not done a secure boot, but will when I get the chance.

Another user in this thread ( https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HPReadHWDataUninstall-issues/m-... ) already tried deleting the file, this made the popup go away, but the lagging keyboard and mouse input is still there.

The file is from HP, so could this be a problem with HP software after a recent update? A few other users of HP products have also reported exactly the same issue in the last few days / weeks.

Marius

HP Recommended

Hi @bertbest,

Thank you for your response, 

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue persists even after attempting the troubleshooting steps mentioned above.

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hey Alden4,

what should I do now?

Marius

HP Recommended

Hi @bertbest,

This needs one-on-one interaction hence I'm sending a private message to assist you with the next action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The only way I found to prevent the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" popup prompting me to enter the credentials for an Administrator account to run HPReadHWDataUninstall.exe every time I logged in to my computer as a non-Administrator user was to rename this folder:

C:\Program Files\HP\OmenInstallMonitor

I renamed it to "OmenInstallMonitor0" in case it somehow screwed up my system, but I've logged out and back in several times and (1) the popup no longer appears, and (2) everything else seems to be working.  I had to provide Administrator credentials to rename the folder.

Good luck, this is an incredibly annoying issue!

-Brian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.