Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-e2000 (2J4V9AV)
Linux

Dear All,

I have a HP Laptop 15-ef2506la. I installed Linux Mint after buying it and now I'd like to install Windows 10-11.

I reformatted the 2 partitions of the Nmve SSD drive (in NTFS format) with Gparted and booted  from an USB drive (with Ventoy and Win 11 iso) but, after the language was selected, Windows did not recognized my SSD drive and could not install.

I have found a similar problem in a HP support thread (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-Installation-USB-can-t-...😞 the solution was installing Windows 10 1809 (Jan 2019 update). I found in the web a slightly newer version but did not work.

I also tried to use the drivers for the SSD (Nmve) provided in the same thread in a message below but they were not recognized by Windows installer. The same happened with an Nvme driver provided by Samsung (the only one I found.)

Finally, as I read in https://superuser.com/questions/1506615/format-drive-correctly-for-windows-10, I tried, in Gparted, selecting Partition Table: GPT, to no avail.

Can you please help.

Thanks for reading this message.

Paolo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Paolo:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive to reinstall W11.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.   You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Support

You can download the tool from the Microsoft store:

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Apps

Since you have to use the tool on another PC when you run it, you will have to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed.

Your notebook's product number is 612B5LA#ABM

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Paolo:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive to reinstall W11.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.   You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Support

You can download the tool from the Microsoft store:

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Apps

Since you have to use the tool on another PC when you run it, you will have to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed.

Your notebook's product number is 612B5LA#ABM

HP Recommended

Thanks so much Paul, I will do it and let you know the result.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

It took a long time to prepare the recovery pen-drive, and also to reinstall the system on the laptop, but it did work!

(The only advise for HP would be to give the recovery tool link and relevant instructions in the product page.)

Thanks very much again for your quick and useful help.

All the very best,

Paolo

HP Recommended

Anytime, Paolo.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I'm very glad that you were able to reinstall Windows by using the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.