Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hi I had tried them a lot since last night but its not responding to anything. It's a new laptop with pre-installed windows. Its been working fine for months until this problem occurred.

I've seen some reasons could be on HD but mine uses SSD which is less vulnerable to physical damage.

I've searched and most were solved by removing the battery. Unfortunately, I cannot do this on 840 G3.
HP Recommended

We just received a batch of 840 G3's and I am amazed that they made this major chassis change.

From a service standpoint the 'fixed' chassis is very disappointing to see, not to mention that there's no benefit to the consumer with this design.

Anyway, here's the 'hard \ forced reset' procedure directly from HP (Similar to the YouTube video posted earlier) .  It has a separate procedure for 'non-removable' batteries so I'm curious if it truly applies to this model.  We've always removed the battery for hard-resets but that turned into more of a habit, perhaps just holding down the power button for 15 seconds while off AC would have been sufficient.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

This is a hardware issue, not a software one.  We run into this occasionally in our enterprise.  Clearly, if a battery removal is truly required for the hard reset then it’s going to be a show stopper for our remote folks.

Ton answer your question Chris – the battery is technically removable and it requires removing the back panel.  Here’s a good video showing those steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIMpPScijcs&t=402s

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisFernan

Based on the service manual for this model, these are the button that I posted. If nothing works, I am afraid you will need to contact HP Support and/or HP Authorized Service center for a local assistance and a check from a technician.

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03515402#OtherIssues

If you are not sure where such a center is located, please contact HP support for assistance in finding one. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/store-finder/find.do?bs=SR4&type=authorized

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Perform a hard reset

To perform a hard reset, press and hold the Power and Mute buttons simultaneously for at least 15 seconds or longer if needed, until the computer turns off.

Works also for G3

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04488993&sp4ts.oid=5405384

HP Recommended

I don't understand.  I have exactly the same laptop and had to do a hard reset to stop it powering off at random (which hasn't worked anyway, neither has replacing the main board at the factory). But, the technician made it pretty simple. Open the bottom of the latop (there are 10 screws I think - just make sure that as you remove then, you place them on a seperate table in the same pattern as you removed then (along with the plastic caps) so you know where each one goes back, and remove the cover.

There are (IIRC) 4 screws that hold the battery in place.  Remove those 4 screws and pull the battery by the platic tab sheet at the top of the battery. It will come up and outwards. Then, with the battery removed, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. (Make it a minute if you want to be absolutely certain given all the work you just did). Then reinsert the battery, replace the screws in the same order. Put the bottom cover back on and put the screws and caps back on in the same place they came from.  

Now you have a hard reset laptop. I agree, it's a 10 minute job, and a pain, but it should work in your case.

****REMEMBER:   Place the screws on the table along with the corresponsing caps in the SAME PATTERN  you removed them in,   Each plastic cap is a different size and shape, and each one actually has it's own part number if you lose and need to replace one.  When they're removed, you should have a little rectangular shaped collection of screws and caps that correspond to the bottom of the machine.

IF that doesn't do it, hit it with a hammer, like I want to do to mine.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I don't understand.  I have exactly the same laptop and had to do a hard reset to stop it powering off at random (which hasn't worked anyway, neither has replacing the main board at the factory). But, the technician made it pretty simple. Open the bottom of the latop (there are 10 screws I think - just make sure that as you remove then, you place them on a seperate table in the same pattern as you removed then (along with the plastic caps) so you know where each one goes back, and remove the cover (it pries gently off with a *click*)

There are (IIRC) 4 screws that hold the battery in place.  Remove those 4 screws and pull the battery by the platic tab sheet at the top of the battery. It will come up and outwards. Then, with the battery removed, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. (Make it a minute if you want to be absolutely certain given all the work you just did). Then reinsert the battery, replace the screws in the same order. Put the bottom cover back on and put the screws and caps back on in the same place they came from.  

Now you have a hard reset laptop. I agree, it's a 10 minute job, and a pain, but it should work in your case.

****REMEMBER:   Place the screws on the table along with the corresponsing caps in the SAME PATTERN  you removed them in,   Each plastic cap is a different size and shape, and each one actually has it's own part number if you lose and need to replace one.  When they're removed, you should have a little rectangular shaped collection of screws and caps that correspond to the bottom of the machine.

IF that doesn't do it, hit it with a hammer, like I want to do to mine.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Situation: 

• User has a brand new 840g3.  Was working fine yesterday,
  • All of a sudden you get a ticket, user reports it won't power up. 
  • Pressing power button does absolutely nothing.
  • On dock, Off Dock, Power Cord Connected, Power Cord removed....   It's a paperweight

Background: 

• I searched every forum for 840G3 Power Reset button sequence.  I could not find one post that helped me.
  • I work for a large hospital system as site lead for a 400 bed hospital/trauma center.
  • We've been deploying 840g3's recently (a huge improvement from the nightmare that the g1's were).  
  • So far I have over 500 deployed. 
  • Recently I've had 3 that all did the same thing.  
  • Press power button and the are zero signs of life  (flat line)
  • Plugging in power supply shows no LED on front panel indicating the battery is charging….
  • Laptop is seemingly bricked

Assessment:  

• 840g3's have a battery that is not as easy to remove as it's g1 & g2 predecessors.
  • Researched Google for 2 hours trying to find the 840g3’s Power Reset specific key sequence..
  • I found several other key sequences for other models, (that did not wok) on the 840g3
  • Could not find an online post specific to the 840g3

Resolution:

• The laptop needs to have a Power Reset key sequence entered.
  • Out of pure desperation and intuition, I tried following sequence. And it worked!!!
  • Remove from Dock, remove any USB devices
  • Remove Power Cord
  • Hold Power Button for at least 30 seconds,….. release
  • Hold Down Power Button again
  • Keep Holding Power, than HOLD down Fn key
  • With both Power and Fn button held down, tap F2
  • Poof magic!!!, LED’s on front flash a quick sequence and the laptop boots right up….I
  • ’m not sure what the root cause is, yet, but this will save you’re a$$ if you get a ticket for one

• I thought it was a fluke on the first one until I got 2 more tickets within two weeks for the same exact issue.
  • So far it's worked 3 out of 3 times I've had to try it...
  • Just had 3rd one today 3/20/17 and was able to walk the user through it over the phone!
  • He was amazed.

Please report back if this works for you

HP Recommended

Nwyborg this worked for us!!  Thank you for the very detailed post.  We had the same exact issue with one of our 840G3's and we were thinking it was a motherboard issue.

Followed your resolution precisely and it booted right up.  User is very happy.

HP Recommended
Awesome. That's great to hear. Glad I could help and I'm not the only one seeing this. I haven't had any more since my post. The 3 that it happened to are still alive and well.

I thought the same thing at first. Mother board (Mother F,**&h3r...)
I wanted to try to pop out the battery to see if removing all power would help it reset, but it's not like the older models. Didn't have my mini screwdriver with me.

I Googled it to death and couldn't find the key sequence posted anywhere. Literally out of desperation I tried all of the sequences posted for other models and had no luck.

Just before giving up, something inside my head said try "power, fn f2" it can't hurt it....... I wish I had a selfie of my face when it turned right on.

I documented it for our IT dept and figured I'd share it with the rest of you because it's not exactly intuitive or documented well yet
HP Recommended

The 840-G3 model- Hard Reset is similar/the same has previous G2/G1 verions,  you remove AC Adapter

remove back cover,  uncrew 2 battery screws, pull on black tab to lift batt. up and out-   Hold power button

down for 15 to 20 secs-    Connect AC Adpater only, and attempt to power up to bios-

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.