Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 15-eb0043dx

I plug an external USB plug-play Logitech keyboard into my laptop's USB port.  In Device Manager, it displays in "Other Devices" and that no drivers are installed. I attempt to "Update Driver," and I get a Windows error:

Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device
Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them.
- USB Composite Device
The system cannot find the file specified.
If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit their website and check the support section for drivers.

So, how do I get the external USB keyboard operational?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yeah, you should NOT have to do this -- but since most hardware no longer comes with driver disks, then you need to go to the Logitech support site and download the drivers for your keyboard. My suggestion would be Options+  since that is the newest and seems to support the most devices.

Once you install the driver, when you reconnect the keyboard, it should work without issue.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply; I decided to buy the HP 400 keyboard, and the same situation happened. The keyboard shows in the Device Manager with no driver information.  I thought an external HP keyboard would install with no problems on my HP HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 15-eb0043dx laptop. I went to the HP site, and it says there are no drivers for the keyboard. The keyboard shows in the control panel but says, "Driver is Unavailable."  I am at a lost on how to get an external keyboard operational on my Spectre 360 laptop, is it even possible? 

HP Recommended

I don't use an external HP keyboard, only Logitech, so I can't help you with that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.