Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop 16-k0000 (594J9AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding information about whether both SSD slots on my notebook support PCIe Gen 4. Could you clarify this for me? I'm unsure if the second slot might be PCIe Gen 3.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, chapter 1 of the service manual indicates the model series supports PCIe Gen 4 x 4 NVMe SSD's.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

If it were me, I would be buying a Gen 4 NVMe SSD if I was planning to install one in the second slot.

Nowadays, some PCIe Gen 4 SSD's cost less than the Gen 3's and worst-case scenario, only a few dollars more.

This discussion indicates that both slots are PCIe Gen 4 x 4:

Does HP Omen 16 has extra slot for ssd? - HP Support Community - 8580019

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/ish_6489438-6489482-16

Sounds like it only has 1 slot of storage (no option for Dual storage). But an @Paul_Tikkanen mentioned, it won't hurt when installing PCIe 4x4 to slot 2 (if available).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien 

Please see the link I posted in the above discussion.

TzortzisG indicated the model series has two NVMe slots and provided illustrations of the location of the two slots which are shown further in the service manual as well as a picture of the motherboard with the cover off.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

I remember now. I saw another specs (for 2 series) which shows they support DUAL storage option (sorry, I could not find that document now)

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, if you look again at that discussion I posted, you can see that I told another forum member that the model series only had one M.2 slot based on what the service manual indicated. 

Live and learn.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.