Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-dy1031wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all! I'm helping a friend with their HP 15-dy1031wm. The BIOS is up-to-date as are the BIOS PCDiags. Currently the laptop hangs in the BIOS PCDiags System Extended Test when plugged in and charging, but completes perfectly running on battery. The BIOS PCDiags passes a separate battery and power adapter test. The power adapter is not OEM but we just bought another non OEM power adapter and it does the same thing. I set the fan to always run in the BIOS to help with thermal issues. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

The original symptoms were a flashing to black screen in a Windows 11 install. A few days after finding a workaround (a cold start was causing the flashing and after a reboot things worked fine) the processor wouldn't go above 16%. I decided to do a clean Windows 10 install. The install ran slow but would get to the OOBE stage. Unfortunately OOBE would loop back to the beginning after completing. All of this was on AC power. I was able to get to the desktop and the previous behavior continued with the CPU throttled to 16% when plugged in and charging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I opened the laptop and removed the battery. I then ran the computer on direct power and the throttling still occurred. I put everything back together and reinstalled the OS from the recovery partition ON BATTERY ONLY which gave me no throttling. Once the install completed, I tested with AC power and throttling occurred. I shutdown the computer and upon turning it back on the battery wasn't recognized but CPU still throttled. Upon shutting down again, the laptop wouldn't start even with AC power. I finagled with the power cable and eventually the battery charging light came on so I left the laptop over night.

This morning, everything is running with no throttling, even on AC power. Maybe a complete battery drain helped or maybe resetting the CMOS but I'm thinking it's a hardware failure. Thanks Erico!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-15-dy1000-laptop-pc-series/model/34443596?sku=9EM65UA

Did you use the HP Cloud Recovery USB method to reinstall Windows 10?

Invoke the Device Manager and take a look to see if there are missing drivers.

You should be able to get the chipset drivers from the Intel Chipset INF utility.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19347/chipset-inf-utility.html

In power options you can select what you want the laptop to do on mobile or power connected state.

Selecting Performance will get you more processor power, but less battery use time.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico for the quick response! I originally used MS Media Creation Tool to create a thumb drive with Windows 10, but ultimately used the HP Recovery Partition to get back to Windows 10. Both ways produced the same symptoms.

All the power options are set correctly and device manager correctly sees the CPUs. I'm noticing the throttle behavior in the pre Windows environment so it seems beyond a driver issue.

HP Recommended

How are you determining that there us a power throttle issue pre Windows boot?

Is the BIOS upgraded to the latest version?

Are you sure that this is a power throttle issue rather than a thermal throttling issue?

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

As I wrote, when plugged in the laptop won't complete the BIOS PCDiag System Extended Test. I also notice the cursor movement choppier when plugged in and in the BIOS PCDiag.

Yes, as I wrote the BIOS and PCDiag are up-to-date.

I installed Throttlestop and as soon as I plug in the laptop BD PROCHOT is triggered and the CPU is throttled to .2ghz (2x99mhz). Disabling BD PROCHOT brings the CPU up to about .6ghz. Temperatures though don't go above 40C.

It seems to think it's a thermal issue. I'm going to remove the bottom case and clean.

HP Recommended

So I opened the laptop and removed the battery. I then ran the computer on direct power and the throttling still occurred. I put everything back together and reinstalled the OS from the recovery partition ON BATTERY ONLY which gave me no throttling. Once the install completed, I tested with AC power and throttling occurred. I shutdown the computer and upon turning it back on the battery wasn't recognized but CPU still throttled. Upon shutting down again, the laptop wouldn't start even with AC power. I finagled with the power cable and eventually the battery charging light came on so I left the laptop over night.

This morning, everything is running with no throttling, even on AC power. Maybe a complete battery drain helped or maybe resetting the CMOS but I'm thinking it's a hardware failure. Thanks Erico!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.