Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I want to know the maximum memory capacity of HP 15s-fq2561TU (46M29PA). I tried using BIOS System Information as the guide of official page but it's not include memory info there.

Please help. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Run this command from the command line. Type cmd in the run box and type this at the prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices
MaxCapacity MemoryDevices

Max memory will come out as hexidecimal which you convert but its pretty obvious. If it starts with a 3 its 32 gigs if its a 6 its 64. Its one or the other. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Run this command from the command line. Type cmd in the run box and type this at the prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices
MaxCapacity MemoryDevices

Max memory will come out as hexidecimal which you convert but its pretty obvious. If it starts with a 3 its 32 gigs if its a 6 its 64. Its one or the other. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I know that command but I have another Lenovo Laptop with that command output is 64GB but it actually can reach maximum 40GB because 8GB RAM is soldered. So I wonder if there is another official information like other brands have in their official website that I didn't find out from HP.

HP Recommended

It actually does depend on your laptop series in regards to upgrades as a machine can have the architecture to use formulas to calculate max memory etc. If there are only two slots that only support say 8gb max your max is 16GB but your machine will not address over 4gb using windows 32bit, If you are running 64bit such as windows pro 512gb is addressable by the operating system but the machine see It , To cut to the chase you machine supports 2 sticks of 8gb ea. for a total of 16gb !!

HP Recommended

Not the case. Max is at least 2 x 16 = 32 and very well could be 2 x 32 = 64. The Lenovo machine has a soldered memory bank which the command prompt "sees" as a memory slot and assumes it can accept the same as the other slot hence a 32 gig chip and 8 soldered = 40. Your laptop has 2 slots. You can see that from the Service Manual. As I said it's either 32 or 64 gigs total, max. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.