Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G4 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have an HP EliteBook 840 G4 Notebook and have been using an Ultra Slim docking station (D9Y19AV#ABA) for years with two 27" monitors.  Suddenly my laptop won't recognize the docking station.  Purchased a new docking station with same result.  I've tried upgrading my BIOS, Hard resetting the computer and can't get this resolved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Considering the generation of your laptop (circa 2016), this could be an issue with the laptop, the HDMI cables or the Ultra Slim docking station (D9Y19AV#ABA).

Since you reported that you "Purchased a new docking station with same result. " that would point to either the laptop, the displays or the HDMI cables.   

Have you taken a close look at the laptop connector?

When powered on, is the docking station recognized as present in the Device Manager without the HDMI cables and displays connected?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response on this. 

I did inspect and blew out the docking station port on the laptop with air and don't see anything unusual. 

Upon your suggestion I tested the SVGA to display  port cord by plugging directly into the laptop and neither monitor is recognized by the laptop display port.  My sense is this is more of an issue with my port than the cords or monitors, but will have to further test....

The docking station is not recognized by the laptop in device manager, but the docking station light is on and it does charge the laptop when docked.

I ordered a USB C dual monitor Docking Station that arrives later today and since this laptop has the USB C port and hopefully this will get me back up and running.

HP Recommended

The latest HP Ultraslim Docking Station DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware Update

is from 2019. Had you installed it before?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291/swItemId/ob-...

There are other drivers at the software and driver download web document under the docks and firmware section. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291

I believe  that you should  probably try the HP USB-C Universal docking station driver.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291/swItemId/ob-...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.