Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Combo Cable

So, I have recently bought the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 (230W version), and I’m finding that the dock doesn’t display any image through the DisplayPort outputs when plugged to my macs with thunderbolt…

None of the 3 DisplayPort outputs (2x DP + 1 USB C) send video image when connected to a mac, but they do when connected to Windows.

For macOS, I can only plug the monitor with a DP to USB C cable on the dock’s Thunderbolt port… but it loses the purpose lf using such a dock… since I can only output to 1 screen… is this normal?

My monitor is an HP 27s monitor with a DP 1.2 port, and 2 HDMI ports.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @AleixJF 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing issues with the connection. Please note that it will work except for connecting 2 monitors using the DisplayPorts.  The macOS does not support MST which is the technology used in this dock to support multiple monitors.

Hope this helps! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for replying… I’m aware about the MST issue of macOS, but that’s not what I’m talking about… I don’t have 2 monutors, just 1… And this is the issue, precisely! It is supposed to work with 1 monitor… but it doesn’t!

When I plug my 1 and single only monitor (HP 27s —> 4k@60Hz monitor) to the dock via any of the 3 DisplayPort outputs (2 DP + 1 USB-C), the screen appears black, but active, when using macOS… Whereas it works perfectly on Windows… Furthermore, the screen is detected on macOS… but the picture is black. I’ve tried different cables + resolutions, but same results…

The “solution” so far has been to use the USB-C Thunderbolt port of my dock… which is not a desirable/acceptable solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

To assist you further, may I know if you have updated all the drivers of your system, thunderbolt, and the monitor?

If not, I would suggest you perform that and let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for answering…

All drivers up to date in Windows (where it works fine), and the firmware of the Dock and its components also updated to the last version (1.0.71 or something like this) eith the Firmware Updater…

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted in order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.