Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hey buddy!!! What do I have now? I know I have a TB Drive but I think it is SATA. Is that correct? There are so many specs online that are wrong about this but I think it might be a SSD... How do I know the difference???

HP Recommended

Here is what the specs that Visruth provided state: 

Hard drive
  • 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

If this is correct, it is a standard hard drive; not a SSD.]

Here are pictures of the Hard Drive (HDD), standard SSD and M.2 SSD:

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I hope this helps.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes, very much so! Will the SSD make it faster? I'm trying to get this thing to keep up with my work flow and it just isn't. It's gotten worse, the more programs I put on it. I get glitching now and all kinds of stuff... Ugh.... If it'll really make a difference I'll probably do it. I just need to find one at a decent price. What differences have you noticed? I know most MAC's have SSD, and I love MAC's. I just don't have the bread for one ATM. 

HP Recommended

So, I've done some research and of course this is going to make my computer faster. Thank you for your help. Now.... I've gotta figure out what SSD drive to buy. I plan on getting a second hand SSD but I'm not sure what to look out for and how I'm going to back up my OS that I have installed ATM. More importantly, I really need to know what type of SSD and if I should be careful buying one second hand and what should I look out for... I'm so glad they have this forum, I'm learning so much! I wish I could switch out the processor but I really think that once I upgrade the RAM and the hard drive that this thing is going to run super smooth. If I'm not mistaken, once I upgrade to the SSD, this system should be comparable to a MAC. I know the IOS is different but as far as capacity and capability, I should be good. Thanks again for all the help!

HP Recommended

@loveghost77, yes, your system will be much faster with a SSD boot drive.  With the OS on it everything should smooth out.  I like Samsung SSD's.  They have their Migration software and Magician software.  The Migration software allows you to clone your HDD to the SSD and the Magician software allows you tweak the SSD for best performance once it is installed.

The best way to clone your HDD is, leave the HDD installed as it came from the factory.  Install the SSD into the socket and boot the laptop.  Then, install the Migration software onto the HDD and run it.  It will ask you to select the Target drive and that will be the SSD.  Once the HDD has been cloned, you can go into the BIOS and change the boot order to the SSD and reboot.  The system should boot to the SSD.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.