Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 15.6 inch G10 Notebook PC (71H61AV)

I have a new HP ProBook 450 G10 running Windows 11. I have noticed that the battery slowly drains while it is powered off. On one occasion, it went from 100% to 76% percent while being powered down for 11 days, and 100% to 88% while being powered down for 5 days. It is not plugged in while powered down. I power the  laptop down by using the Windows > Power > Shut Down onscreen option (as opposed to the hard power button). Is this normal? What could be causing this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Modern laptops do not actually power off when you press the power button; insted, they go into a hybrid sleep mode -- which continues to use battery power and can generate heat.

To force your laptop to actually power off when you are pressing the power button, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCMgeZ1M7PI

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I believe my power off button may have been inadvertently set to sleep; however, I'm now noticing that my battery also drains as I am using the laptop while plugged in (1% over the course of 2 hours). I have never known laptop batteries to do this in the past. Is this a new "feature" of modern laptops?

HP Recommended

Not that I am aware of.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have changed the setting to make sure the laptop powers off with the power off button, but it seems to have gotten worse. It has gone from 97% to 80% while powered off for just 6 days. Are there other settings I should look for, or is this a defect?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.