Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs192od

I recently upgraded my HDD to an SSD and my hp 15-BS192OD was running like never before! 

Upgraded to windows 11 and was working through all the updates when HP recommended I update the BIOS. I downloaded the update directly from the HP product page. Installed the new bios.

Upon restart the PC goes to a black screen, the fans were running but that's it. No caps lock light. No errors. 

I have already tried keyboard commands:

Windows + B

Windows+ V

Have already downloaded the bios onto a flash drive to see if that would launch the automatic repair but it does nothing.

It's frustrating because I finally had this PC running better than ever before and then HP advises me to update the BIOS.

Now it's seemingly dead and unresponsive. Is there any hope? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Noticed some unusual behavior:

• the PC won't turn on unless the power adapter is connected. Battery was operational prior to this. 

• When I hold down the power button the power indicator light turns off briefly but then Turns right back on. Don't know if that's relevant or not. 

HP Recommended

Hi @NoahThority,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a situation where the BIOS update might not have gone smoothly, resulting in your laptop not booting properly. Here are a few steps you can try to potentially resolve the issue.

• Perform a hard reset: Disconnect all peripheral devices and the power adapter, then remove the battery (if possible). Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual power. Reinsert the battery and reconnect the power adapter, then try turning on the laptop again.
  • Reset BIOS settings: If you can access the BIOS setup utility (usually by pressing a key like F10 or Del during startup), try resetting the BIOS settings to default. Look for an option like "Load Setup Defaults" or "Reset BIOS Settings".
  • Clear CMOS: This involves resetting the BIOS settings to their factory defaults by clearing the CMOS memory. This typically requires opening up the laptop and locating the CMOS battery or a jumper on the motherboard. Refer to your laptop's manual or HP's support documentation for instructions on how to do this.
  • Attempt a BIOS recovery: Some HP laptops have a BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover from a failed BIOS update. This often involves pressing a specific key combination or using a dedicated BIOS recovery button. Refer to your laptop's manual or HP's support documentation for instructions on how to perform a BIOS recovery.

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing these issues after a seemingly successful SSD upgrade. Hopefully, one of the above steps will help resolve the issue and get your laptop up and running again.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello, 
Thanks for your suggestions. You have defined the problem accurately in saying the bios update did not complete as expected and now the device wont boot. 

• Hard reset was attempted to no avail. 

• I believe I cleared the CMOS.
(By replacing the CR2032 BATTERY attached to the board)

• I am unable to access the BIOS settings. F10, F5, F8 when restarting the device does nothing.

• BIOS RECOVERY attempted by pressng WIN+B, WIN+V, Just V, Just B, and this also does nothing. I have attempted this with both the new SSD installed and also the old HDD (THINKING that possibly it had a seperate partition that allowed for the BIOS recovery to initiate). 

Yet none of these attempts were successful. 

I installed the BIOS UPDATE onto a flash drive as well but I'm not sure if it will auto-run on its own. Tried but it does nothing as well. 

One difference I noticed between my issue and several other users who reported similar issues is that they all have said the CAPS LOCK light flashes three times and mine has not flashed or illuminated since the problem occurred. 

HP Recommended

It seems I am out of options to fix my PC on this forum. I have seemingly tried everything to no Avail. 

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.