Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-xf0000 (758R1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi Community, I just bought my new gaming laptop OMEN 16 last month and it worked fine until yesterday. After turning my laptop on the screen firstly shows OMEN logo and after the windows 11 welcome sound, my screen remains blank, I try adjust screen brightness and the screen brightness did turn up and down but still blank, I try quickly close and open my laptop lid and my internal display is working again. This happens every time after I turn on or restart my laptop. Then I try connect the external monitor though HDMI and turn on my laptop: same issue on internal display stays and remains blank but on the external monitor shows everything as it should. Then same solution: I try quickly close and open my laptop lid and see: the internal screen is working again. This happens every single time when I turn on or restart my laptop, so every time after I hear the windows 11 welcome sound I have to quickly close and open the lid to have my internal screen work again. GPU (both NVIDIA and AMD onboard), CPU and windows drivers are all up to date. Interesting fact: I try change the display adapter in device manager from AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics to Microsoft basic display adapter and then restart my laptop and my internal display directly comes on after boot up or restart as it should.

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @wood58,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting, which is great. Since switching to the Microsoft basic display adapter resolved the issue, it suggests that there might be a problem with the drivers for the AMD Radeon graphics.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to address the issue.

• Update Graphics Drivers: Even if you've already ensured that your GPU drivers are up to date, try reinstalling them. Sometimes, a fresh installation can resolve compatibility issues or corrupted files. You can download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
  • Rollback Drivers: If the issue started after a recent driver update, you might consider rolling back to a previous version of the AMD Radeon graphics driver. This can be done through the Device Manager by right-clicking on the graphics card, selecting "Properties," and then navigating to the "Driver" tab.
  • BIOS Update: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop from the HP website. Sometimes BIOS updates can resolve hardware compatibility issues.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your operating system is fully up to date. Sometimes, Windows updates include fixes for hardware compatibility issues.

By following these steps, you should be able to either resolve the issue or gather more information to help diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @wood58,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting, which is great. Since switching to the Microsoft basic display adapter resolved the issue, it suggests that there might be a problem with the drivers for the AMD Radeon graphics.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to address the issue.

• Update Graphics Drivers: Even if you've already ensured that your GPU drivers are up to date, try reinstalling them. Sometimes, a fresh installation can resolve compatibility issues or corrupted files. You can download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
  • Rollback Drivers: If the issue started after a recent driver update, you might consider rolling back to a previous version of the AMD Radeon graphics driver. This can be done through the Device Manager by right-clicking on the graphics card, selecting "Properties," and then navigating to the "Driver" tab.
  • BIOS Update: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop from the HP website. Sometimes BIOS updates can resolve hardware compatibility issues.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your operating system is fully up to date. Sometimes, Windows updates include fixes for hardware compatibility issues.

By following these steps, you should be able to either resolve the issue or gather more information to help diagnose the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

thanks for your answer, I did tried and completely did a clean installation on a AMD driver and download it again from AMD website and problem remains. Then I did try perform a clean installation again but this time with an AMD driver directly from HP which is an old version from 12/10/2023 and it worked. So it is a driver problem from AMD site which does not compatible with my laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi @wood58,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.