Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I been fighting this issue with my laptop . Where it will load the windows 10 logo and then ether show lines all over the screen  or load a blue screen saying Fatal error or just freezes on the windows logo . ... I'm pretty sure this needs a bios update . Witch I have been trying to find a bootable file on HP website where I can be on a differnt computer and move it to a USB.  Because I've tried differnt OS .  OBUNTU . VISTA , 7 , 8 amd 10 . And still having the same issue ... 

Specks 

Hp Pavilion dv7 4087cl notebook pc 

System board id 144B

Bios version F. 06

Insyde

REV 3.5

If there is an way to get advanced menu for this . But everywhere I looked  said it don't exist ... so I'm not counting on that to much I'm just really looking to update the bios from a flash drive .. I can't use that computer to download I have to use a ... other competitors computer . But regardless I would like to get this computer up and running . Thank you for the time .

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I don't know why everyone seems to thing that a BIOS update is a Miracle Cure for anything that ails a PC, but that is very unlikely in this case; plus, I don't think you are going to be able to get one from HP for a PC this old, as they only support a laptop for a few years.

The logo freezing normally indicates a failing drive -- because the logo is displayed from firmware which does not need to read the internal drive.  If drive reading fails after that, there will be no login screen displayed.

For a drive failure, See the following HP Guide for more information:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/ish_3053911-2842957-16

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I don't think  it would be a magical fix ... it's just I've literally done all those things on that list . Other than a bios update . But everytime you look for something on the computer they have a bios update for it . But it's not one you put on the USB.. it's one you download on the actual hard drive and run on the computer .. but since it won't boot into windows I would have to use a other competitor computer to do this on a USB and press windows b to install ... .. but that being said thank you for troubleshooting with me though . .. it's not that i think it will work . But it's like the ony thing I haven't tried . ..

HP Recommended

The only BIOS updates you should trust are those from HP and those are distributed in files known as softpaqs -- which are self-extracting archives.  If you run them on your PC, they will simply do the update.  If you run then on another PC, there is an option to create a USB stick -- which you can then use on your PC.

HP Recommended

Yeah I tried to find one and there is a bios update for that computer on the website . But the bios update extractor will only let me extract to the computer itself and not the flash drive . It's just been a pain in the butt lol . I mean my other computer works fine and it was from an other company and it was when Vista was around so it's way older and can support uefi and legacy . Hp just locks there bios as a " safety issue " witch just like other company's what want to force a customer to update there hardware . .... witch I somewhat understand ... like back in the windows 7 days files where alot smaller than what they are today . Making them easier to run ... but this has a I5 and is perfect for what I need it for  . Just doing basic computer stuff and running painttool Sai to draw . ... and watch TV.   But I can't find the f29 ( pretty sure that's the bios it said is the updated version for usb bootable ..

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that ...  I was told by an EXPERT here that the HP BIOS updates allow you to create a USB stick.  I have always done them on the target PC, so I have not looked for that option.

From what you said, it looks like you can not boot the PC into Windows enough to do this download from HP directly.  Is that right?

Your display issue indicates a failing screen and the Fatal Error indicates a Windows OS corruption issue, so you MIGHT be able to boot from a USB stick -- but you would have to do some work to create that stick using another PC, boot this PC from it, and then browse to the HP site to download and run the  BIOS update.

This is a LOT of work -- and might not even succeed -- but if you want to try it, I will provide you some info.

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried that aswell , created a bootable version of windows 10 , 8, 7 ,Ubuntu  and Vista via USB.  On a flash drive and tried to make it where it would boot into the hp laptop . But had no luck also tried to make it where the harddrive itself ether 10 ,8 ,  7 ubuntu and Vista.  Lol . .. it's been a a pain in the Butt .lol . I've spent years not saying I'm an expert on computers ... but usually I figure it out but this has me pretty stumped.... next thing to try is to buy a new usb stick and seeing if that is the issue . I've been using a 8 gig usb stick FedEx usb stick , so maybe I need to go to the store and pick up a SanDisk on . 

HP Recommended

When you say it doesn't boot, what happens? Does it see the USB stick OK? Does it start to boot from the stick but stop? How far into the boot process does it get?

HP Recommended

it gets up to the windows logo and than ether,  lines , freezes or blue screen saying fatal tracer error ... and it freezes when It does the windows system diagnostic.It also freezes when i try to do system recovery / factory reset . 

HP Recommended

OK, so you can't actually boot from any USB stick because the PC crashes before the USB stick program is shown, right?

This sounds like an internal hardware failure in addition to the screen, perhaps motherboard issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.