Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8440p Notebook PC

Hello,

I recently purchased a used HP EliteBook 8440p. The previous owner did not include the SSD or RAM.

I installed a working Samsung SATA 5400 RPM HDD and an 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM stick. The laptop has a Core i5 vPro sticker.

However, when I press the power button, the screen stays blank. All the LEDs light up except the HDD LED, even though the HDD is installed. The fan runs at full speed constantly, and the RAM stick gets very hot. Pressing any key on the keyboard produces a beep sound.

MODEL : EliteBook 8440p

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook is very particular about what type of memory you can install.

For one thing, the notebook only supports up to 2 x 4 GB of memory, so right off the bat, the single 8 GB memory chip has no chance of working.

Now for the specific type of memory you need:

It cannot be any faster than DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600).

It must be 1.5V and it must be dual ranked (8 little black memory chips on each side of the memory circuit board, not 4.

I'm thinking two of these should work for you...

Amazon.in: Buy Hynix 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL9 204-Pin SoDimm HMT351S6CFR8C-...

Below is the link to the service manual.  Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade information:

c02745864.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you !
I will be sure to test it out and update the same.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.